Trying to adapt 318 again

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

poor rich
CPL
CPL

Trying to adapt 318 again

Post by poor rich »

I never touched a wrench in 2011, but Im determined to get my truck running in 2012.
I'm going to revisit this topic many times this year as I get back up to speed.
to recap, my truck had a 265 engine in it when I bought it, shortly after I got it running, the crank shaft broke.
I bought a 1990 Dodge 1/2 ton to get the 318 out of it, and had it rebuilt.
I have the engine, bell housing, NP435 trans. all mounted. Now I just have to make it work.

My first question - I assumed the hole through the bottom of the radiator would have lined up with the crank and was originally for a backup hand crank, am I correct? I positioned the engine inline from the radiator hole to the shaft on the transfer case. At this point if I'm wrong I can still make changes.

The Iron discharge fitting at the bottom of the radiator is going to make it almost impossible to adapt a hose to the pump.
Is there a better radiator available that will fit? If yes, If you know Part # ect. would help allot.

Rich
My wife loves to cook, bakes fresh cookies for my lunch every week, and now she wants a 15" Mortar.... life is good!
Josh
SFC
SFC

Re: Trying to adapt 318 again

Post by Josh »

Rich, first off, do you have pictures of the truck in original condition, or, is it currently registered and street legal? If it is street legal, DO NOT let the registration lapse, EVER. Keep it up to date and keep quiet. If it isnt street registered yet, you will need all original pictures of the truck in its original OD green paint.

Reason i say all this is the drivetrain modifications and paint color are what Madison used to deny my registration and brand my title unregisterable. I still cant get a wisconsin plate, i have a michigan plate on mine. Got away with it so far, knock on wood. Its still technically illegal but, the other way to get around it is to put a regular white plate on it. It will raise eyebrows at the dmv when you ask for a standard plate for a vintage truck, but just tell them you want to be able to drive it year round without mileage or date restrictions.

As to your other question, the original inline 6 sat off center. I dont think it will hurt anything to do the same with the v8. Keep in mind though that the increased power of the V8 will make the NP200 and factory axles run hot, hotter than they were designed for. I constantly had bearing and seal issues when i put mine in. Id consider centering the engine with the eventual plan of replacing the 200 with a 205, and the axles with dana 60s when you break them or blow a bearing/seal.

For the radiator, check out mine and retiredguy's rebuild threads. We both used the same flexalite, made in the usa radiator. Fits perfectly in the truck core support (drags on the steel on the way in), and has cooling capacity for 600 hp. Its expensive, 600 bucks, but a quality piece. I always ran on the verge of too hot withthe stock radiator and my 360 v8.
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Rich,

The Engine will have to be off set to the drivers side in order to clear for the oil pan to clear the front axle differential. That will require you to notch the frame to allow for the stock exhaust manifold to still fit.

You might want to read through Ray's installation to see some pictures and info: http://www.uglytruckling.com/M37%20Truc ... ersion.htm

What bell housing will you be using, mechanical linkage or hydraulic?

Will
http://m37.wawii.com/
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

If you set the engine on top of the frame, it will fit, but the it will hit the hood if you get too high. There is a very small window in there where it works. I did it with mine but if i got on it hard in 2nd gear the engine would torque enough to run the aluminum beauty cover on the air cleaner into the hood. Didnt hurt the hoid, just dinged up my pretty orage air cleaner cover!
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Rich,

Frank Irons down by Brookfield has a beautifully done Dodge 360 conversion with modern tranny, transfer, dana 60's and drives like a dream. Try to visit with him.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
poor rich
CPL
CPL

Post by poor rich »

I think I got the position correct, oil pan is real close to the dif. Had to remove 1/2" ish of top of D.S. frame, no way to go lower.
I've spent the afternoon looking on line for radiators, what a waste. virtually all sites I went to you had to start with a search for your vehicle, only 1 site listed 1954 powerwagon and only listed the lower radiator hose.

Josh, do you know of a good place to get a custom drive shaft made, I need to adapt between the civ. trans. and the transfer case.

Rich
My wife loves to cook, bakes fresh cookies for my lunch every week, and now she wants a 15" Mortar.... life is good!
poor rich
CPL
CPL

Post by poor rich »

Josh, When I first registered my truck I went right to truck plates, I knew she wasn't going to be a "for looking at" kinda girl. but the registration lapsed after she died, all I can hope is no one is paying to much attention when I reregister my 54 dodge.
I figured I'd get everything to fit and working first, then pull it apart again take care of gear box rebuilds, seals, ect. then go to synthetic lube to help with heat and ware.
Rich
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Machine service in green bay is where i had mine done. They are very reasonable and can custom build almost anything.

I hope you have better luck than i did with the registration. So far i havent run across any ego driven cops with my michigan plate, but im sure its only a matter of time... :(
poor rich
CPL
CPL

Post by poor rich »

Cuz, Josh, I do understand the changes in registration, and find myself in a black hole, perhaps I should reregister the truck to see if I can do it, before I spend any more on it, even then I'm only good until a smart cop catches on.
Perhaps I should drag it to Madison and burn it on the steps of the DMV.
Rich
wvcharlie
CPL
CPL

Post by wvcharlie »

Rich,
When I put my 318 in my M37, I took the stock radiator to a radiator shop. They plugged up the lower hose hole and welded on a new fitting on the drivers side. It worked great and it has kept my 318 poly cool even with long idle times in parades. By using the stock radiator, It was one less headache to worry about in the adapting process.
And it was cheap!
Charlie
64 M38A1
65 M37
68 M725
101st ABN Veteran
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Rich,

Did you use your own design or Ray's mounting design? If you used Ray's you may be too for forward for the long nose water pump.

Also Clutch, M37 Mechanical Actuated or Newer hydraulic? Did you compare the bell housing lengths?

I had my Radiator modified to more the core to the front of the top tank while leaving the mounting brackets in their original location. This allowed me to mount an electric fan to pull air through the radiator.

ImageImage

http://m37.wawii.com/
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
superbee70
PFC
PFC

Post by superbee70 »

When I did my 318 swap I mounted the radiator in front of the existing radiator location. I believe the radiator was out of a newer dodge truck but don't recall for certain. By moving the radiator forward you could move the engine forward which gave clearance at the firewall for the distributor. I used a crossmember from a newer truck that had the engine mounts attached. Cut off the section with the mounts and bolted/welded to the inner channel of the M framerail. Had to notch the oilpan to clear the front diff. Hydraulic clutch would be easist. I had tried both a bellcrank and a sprocket setup.
Tanner
SGT
SGT

Post by Tanner »

Ease of Registration is why I love living in North Carolina... and add in the fact that no vehicle inspection is required for vehicles over 35 years old... :D

But TECHNICALLY - according to motor vehicle laws in NC - engine swaps are not allowed without being signed off by DMV folks - I'd have to dig to find it, but it's still on the books, yet luckily not enforced.

'Tanner'
mikestotlar

Post by mikestotlar »

ok,.. i have a 1952 m37, im looking at putting a 350 or 400 sbc in to it! with a th400 or 700r4 trans .Does anyone have any good advice?
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

I did it with an adapter plate, here's how I did it.....
http://dodgem37.customer.netspace.net.a ... ersion.zip

Regards - MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au