Revised service manual — applicable to M37

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

gordon maney
PVT
PVT

Revised service manual — applicable to M37

Post by gordon maney »

I am going to create a revision of the service manual that has been available from Power Wagon Advertiser for quite a few years. The last printing was the 3rd printing and occurred in May of 2001. It is a manual covering brakes, front drive axle, transfer case, rear axle, and differential.

The contents of this publication deal with the M-series Dodge and the 1-ton Power Wagon manufactured under model designations WDX-WM300. Partial coverage of other applications will occur. Examples would be: Brake coverage applicable to WWII 3/4 and 1-1/2 ton. Front axle coverage partially applicable to WWII 1-1/2 ton and late series 3/4 ton. Rear axle and differential coverage the same as front drive axle applications. Includes material from factory literature and considerable supplementary text intended for those who have not been down the path before. Great for both the novice and the experienced.

The current manual uses art from the original factory manuals. I want to do the revised version of the manual using photographs, with more views and better views than originally included in the factory manuals.

I need your help. I can't take all the photos because I don't have work in process here in all the relevant topic areas. I am seeking photos from enthusiastic Dodgers out there.

I need high resolution, digital images, created with your camera set to produce the highest quality images it can produce. Give thought to lighting and clutter. Experiment with it, digital images cost nothing to produce. Practice taking photos of the important steps in service procedures. As I get some that are good, I will post a few as examples to show the sort of thing I am seeking.

The categories I need photos for are as listed above: brakes, front drive axle, transfer case, rear axle, and differential. Imagine this as if you are doing the work. What do you need to see, what do you need to know? What image would communicate that knowledge?

If I use your images in the manual you will be given recognition, bringing you world fame. No fortune is likely, but the fame will be international.

I also wonder what would be a next topic or two that you feel should be included as this manual is expanded. Fuel systems? Electrical systems? What is your critical need?
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Revised service manual — applicable to M37

Post by Monkey Man »

I would like to see a section on suspension, bush replacement and maintainence if it's not already in there plus I'll put my hand up to purchase a copy once released...
Also changed your post to a sticky type :wink:

Best Regards - MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
gordon maney
PVT
PVT

Post by gordon maney »

Monkey Man wrote:I would like to see a section on suspension, bush replacement and maintenance if it's not already in there plus I'll put my hand up to purchase a copy once released...
Also changed your post to a sticky type :wink:

Thank you for the sticky!

Any other issue of interest pertaining to — or peripheral to — springs?
Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Tim Powell »

Just noticed your post! I have a few pictures of a couple of my projects in a photo album on the gallery. Anything you see I have higher res. pictures in a file. Nothing special yet but your welcome to anything you might like? Tim Powell
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
1968 M101A1 Cargo Trailer
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
MC-A1 Air Compressor Unit
Military Tank APU

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing."
gordon maney
PVT
PVT

Post by gordon maney »

Tim Powell wrote:Just noticed your post! I have a few pictures of a couple of my projects in a photo album on the gallery. Anything you see I have higher res. pictures in a file. Nothing special yet but your welcome to anything you might like? Tim Powell
Thank you! I will go have a look. I am in a training class at work that involves a day and night effort, so it may take a few days.
gordon maney
PVT
PVT

Post by gordon maney »

Are high resolution images available of those, if needed?
Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Tim Powell »

I try to keep a high resolution copy of everything I post. Let me know if there are any you might need. I'm leaving wed. morning for work and will be gone a week. I work 7 on and 7 off! Sometimes I'm a bit slow in my replys but I always come back! Sort of like a bad habit!
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
1968 M101A1 Cargo Trailer
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
MC-A1 Air Compressor Unit
Military Tank APU

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing."
SydneyM37
CPL
CPL

Post by SydneyM37 »

Wish i took photo's on changing the bushes and bolts on my suspension, glad no audio, for some sensitive ears.

Bruce
Keep em green to keep ya keen
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

SydneyM37 wrote:Wish i took photo's on changing the bushes and bolts on my suspension, glad no audio, for some sensitive ears.

Bruce
I am only down in Tassie Bruce, I wondered who was doing all the swearing :wink:
I have that job ahead of me as soon as I can get a hold of some new bushes :shock:

Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
SydneyM37
CPL
CPL

Post by SydneyM37 »

Will i see you at Corowa tony in a few weeks ?
Keep em green to keep ya keen
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Post by snowdad »

Gordon,
I plan on starting the tear-down phase of my 1953 M-37/M-42 soon. Let me know what I can do to help you. I plan on starting a photo album in detail of this restoration. Something I wish I had done with my MB jeep and WC-51 in last 4 years. It is pretty complete. It is one that was built as an M-37, converted to an M-42, then back to an M-37.
How do you want the pictures sent?
Phillip
gordon maney
PVT
PVT

Post by gordon maney »

snowdad wrote:Gordon,
I plan on starting the tear-down phase of my 1953 M-37/M-42 soon. Let me know what I can do to help you. I plan on starting a photo album in detail of this restoration. Something I wish I had done with my MB jeep and WC-51 in last 4 years. It is pretty complete. It is one that was built as an M-37, converted to an M-42, then back to an M-37.
How do you want the pictures sent?
Phillip
That would be great! It might seem too general a remark to say all details, but that is an initial remark I would make. As far as a method of sending, emailing is fine. Perhaps you could take one or two photos of something, and it could be your tool box or the assembled truck, so I could see the file size. Then we could communicate further about how many to attach to an email. If you thought of sending a large number at once, putting them on a CD and mailing it works, too, but I find email is convenient and works well.

You may email sample images to me at b1pw1948@earthlink.net.

Thank you....
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Post by snowdad »

I plan on starting on the bed removal today. Anything in particular you need pictures of there?
Phillip
gordon maney
PVT
PVT

Post by gordon maney »

snowdad wrote:I plan on starting on the bed removal today. Anything in particular you need pictures of there?
Phillip
Details of fastener locations would be great. Also you will find rubber insulators. Perhaps photos showing how they fit in place or where they are located. Imagine you not having done the job; what would be useful for you to see, or for someone with little mechanical experience.

Thank you for asking!
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Post by snowdad »

Already thought of it. Didn't get done what I wanted, but located all attachment points and all the rubber bumpers. PB blastered them and will take pics and try for removal tomorrow if rain holds.