M37 Tag Decode assistance

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

rcamacho
PVT
PVT

M37 Tag Decode assistance

Post by rcamacho »

Need an assist with decoding serial number.
http://1drv.ms/1mqQa9r
'51 M37
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Re: M37 Tag Decode assistance

Post by Jess »

Production Dates on the top of this page...

http://www.g741.org/ProductionDates.html
rcamacho
PVT
PVT

Post by rcamacho »

Looks like 80007758, inspectors writing was a bit creative.
'51 M37
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hmmmmmmm.............there's something's fishy about that data plate. :shock:

First, it's pop riveted on..........not the correct way to attach it do the dash.

Second, the plate itself is silk screened.....not acid washed and has no raised surfaces.....so it's most likely not the original plate.

Third, the info on those plates was stamped in, not engraved. It also looks like the engraver left out a "0" and tried to sneak it in after the fact.......something that would never be allowed by a Government inspector.

Fourth, the contract number is wrong.......it should be 4778, not 4478, if the contract numbers in the Registry are correct.

And lastly.........I've never seen an actual first name for an inspector. They used first and last initials (so the person could be identified) and usually an ordinance stamp. I don't think just "Gary" would cut it.

I'd check the frame serial number to be sure I had the right SN for the truck. And I'd probably buy a new data plate and have it correctly stamped (if I was restoring the truck).

What do you guys think?

regards,
bob
tinmedic
PFC
PFC

Post by tinmedic »

I agree with getting a new tag and having it stamped correctly. To me, nothing about that tag is correct.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

tinmedic wrote:I agree with getting a new tag and having it stamped correctly. To me, nothing about that tag is correct.
I agree.

A handwritten vehicle identification number might raise a few eyebrows at the DMV. Or by a representative of law enforcement. I once had an interesting experience on the side of I-10 with an officer of the Arizona Highway Patrol who found the five-digit serial number of my '63 Studebaker to be less than convincing proof of ownership.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
rcamacho
PVT
PVT

Post by rcamacho »

Hmm, interesting indeed. I'll have to look for the frame id. Where might I go looking for the frame/body numbers?
'51 M37
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Frame number should be stamped in big numbers just ahead of your steering box. You might have to sand through some crud to get to it.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Bob pointed out most of the inconsistencies. My guess this truck got this tag from "Bubba Gary" at some point in its life. :lol:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
rcamacho
PVT
PVT

Post by rcamacho »

I wire brushed the frame and it looks like the serial number match. Looks like the tag was replaced by some prior enthusiast for some unknown reason.
'51 M37
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi rcamacho,

That's great news. But you should consider either removing the current hand engraved plate entirely, or replacing it with one properly stamped at some point before you sell the truck (if you ever sell it). As Elwood alluded to...........this stuff can come back and bite you in the ass years down the road. Just my 2 cents.

regards,
bob