A storage unit of spare parts i found

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

A storage unit of spare parts i found

Post by isaac_alaska »

Turns out all this stuff came with my truck, i just yesterday got down to Palmer/Wasilla area to go through some of it, was hoping to get it all but wasn't prepared for how much stuff there was, both by weight and by volume. Durango was not up to the task of pulling it all back through the mountains.

Anyway, here's the photos, if you see something you need let me know. I am keeping a full set of shocks, and the winter blanket, and the Jerry can holder for sure, but some things like oil filter canisters i'm sure i don't need 3 spares between my two trucks.
There's also a head gasket brand new, wrapped up, only one little ding in the edge that i don't think will affect anything.
I also need to find the specs for brake drums, because i think i picked up something like a dozen of them and it would be cool if some of them are serviceable. Is there anything wrong with greasing the braking surface to keep it from rusting, and then de-greasing it when it's time to use them? or does the grease soak in to the metal and become hard to remove.

Finally, anyone want to identify the thing in photo 31, and the plywood piece in photo 32?

http://g741.org/photogallery/main.php?g ... &g2_page=2
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
m37paul
PVT
PVT

Re: A storage unit of spare parts i found

Post by m37paul »

Picture 31 is a horn, 32 is drivers seat bottom. Quite a collection. Paul
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

Thanks Paul! That's what I suspected, but wasn't sure. I also got a really nice sliding window frame, no glass in it. Im not sure where it goes. It's approximately 1ft x 2ft, has a flange that looks made to bolt to something solid like plywood or sheet metal. Did the army hard top have a sliding rear window? Or maybe this goes to a different truck. Neither of my trucks have sliding windows.
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Photo Gallery
Hawk101
PVT
PVT

Post by Hawk101 »

:shock: Nice,, I would be interested in the horn, do you know if it works?
Cheers Lee.
m37paul
PVT
PVT

Post by m37paul »

Hardtop on my M37 has a sliding window. Without checking, your measurements seem correct. Paul
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

Horn is still in storage, i don't know if it works. I need to check and see if my trucks have horns, and if they work, and if they do i could sell you this one. small stuff will fit in flat rate boxes :) trying to figure out what everything is and if i can use it or not, and part out a bunch of the other stuff so that someone can get some use out of it and i don't have to store it.

thanks paul!

i found this picture: http://www.oshkoshequipment.com/product ... rd-Top-Kit

the window i have looks like this. maybe they are interchangeable
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Photo Gallery
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hey...........wait a minute...........that looks like my rec room! Looks like the previous owner suffered from the same disease we all have......Morepartsthebetter disease. Looks like a nice stash of stuff you got there Isaac. Unfortunately, shipping from Alaska for most stuff would be a bit expensive. But you've got a great pile of stuff to barter with when you find other M37 guys up your way. And if you run into any of those pesky little bead lock clips........put them aside for me. Here's a pic of one for reference;

regards,
bob
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

i'll keep an eye out, i don't think i'm using any of those on my trucks, i'm not even sure how they work. are they for holding the flap in place inside the tire, or do they actually help hold the bead of the tire on the rim? I'm supposed to be getting the original NDT's if the previous owner can track them down.

there's a few coffee cans and such full of oil and parts that i didn't go through too deeply, it looks like engine internals: valves, nuts, bolts, and a couple timing chains and sprockets. the cam shaft looks preeeeeety rusty, as does the block. maybe it's salvageable by a good shop

*edit*
how expensive are those clips, and how many go on a truck? doesn't look impossible to make a set of dies for stamping out more of them....
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Photo Gallery
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Isaac,
Quite the stash! It's going to be fun sifting through it, but I suspect moving it is not. I love the twisted driveshaft, ouch! I may send you a list of some parts for an engine we're putting together down here. Happy digging!

Andy
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Any intake pipes for a fording kit? Ill pay a lot for one...
-Jay

MVPA#31295
Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado
http://www.mvcconline.org
3/3 CAV HWB
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I'd keep any lubricating substance away from your brake pads. They are pretty much considered contaminated if you spray them with lube. Not that they won't work, they just don't work as well. And that on top of our already weak brakes cannot be good
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

Sorry, I meant greasing the drum, not the shoes. The shoes I can easily store and keep dry, the drums will probably be tarped as good as I can and stored outside.
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Photo Gallery
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I'd bet they can be cleaned up if greased.
Hawk101
PVT
PVT

Post by Hawk101 »

Isaac, yeah that's fine,If you don't need and are willing to sell the horn (if working)? Shoot me a PM.
Cheers Lee
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Isaac,

First the brake drums.........I wouldn't put any lubricant on the brake drum contact surfaces. I've heard that (and it was probably on here) that the lube gets into the pores of the metal surface. When you clean the drums with brake or carb cleaner the surface looks clean........but when the drums heat up from braking the lube left in the pores liquefies and leeches out onto the brake shoe friction surface, ruining them. Not sure if I fully believe that.........but it sort of makes sense.

Now the bead lock clips. I wish you could make a die and stamp me some new ones. First, they're made of spring steel. No biggie, but it just means you need more stamping pressure. There were 60 clips needed per truck......6 on each side of the rim, so 12 per tire....times 5 tires. It's not that they didn't work, they just weren't needed......and were discontinued sometime in 1952. So most trucks didn't come with them. Their function was to lock the tire bead to the rim.......a bead lock, if you will, for when air pressure was let out of the tires when used on sand. But the Budd rims never let the tire bead get loose.........and the clips were a pain in the ass to install.

My Air Force M37 came with them on it's tires......or most of them. So I always look for more of them to get a full set. How much do they cost? That's a funny thing.....most folks who have them don't use them......so I've had folks just send me a couple in an envelope (thanks guys!!), I've paid a buck apiece for them at meets, and I recently bought a bunch from someone on here for $2 each. I also bought some from John at Midwest a year or two ago.........I think he charged me something like $2.50 or so for some used ones he had. So I assume they're worth a buck or three apiece......or in that range. Then the other day I opened up the VPW online catalog........they've really added tons of stuff......and there on the Wheel page I see the clips listed. NOS even. But for $15 EACH! I thought it was a typo and they meant $1.50 each..........but I got a feeling it wasn't a typo. I also got a feeling they aren't selling many. The problem with used ones is they pit and rust on the side that sits in the rim on the bead.....so many of the used ones are not really useable.....but I'm not paying $15 for a little clip.....or $180 for a truck's worth of clips. :shock:

So if you get that die made let me know!!! :mrgreen:

regards,
bob