Massive new Dodge book available at 2015 MVPA convention

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

DDoyle
PVT
PVT

Massive new Dodge book available at 2015 MVPA convention

Post by DDoyle »

Since so many people on the forum have provided help and encouragement, I wanted this to be one of the first places that I announce that after an eight-plus year labor, my new Dodge book is now being printed.

What began as a small book on the Dodge through the years grew into a two-volume set of hardbound books covering from the VC through the G-741 series. Development, product and field use are covered.

The book is scheduled to be released in mid-to late July, but I will have a limited number of the books available on a first-come, first serve basis at the MVPA convention in Topeka 25-27 June.

The two-volume set includes Volume I, 496 pages and 850 photos, covering the development and production of the VC and WC series vehicles, while Volume 2 is 522 pages and almost 900 images covering the development and production of the G-741 family, as well as the field use of all the vehicles from 1940 through 1975. Of the 1750 images, about 20 are of restored or preserved the vehicles, the remainder are vintage photos, the bulk of which are previously unpublished.

The cooperation and assistance of the Chrysler Corp., Vintage Power Wagons, Midwest Military, Fred Coldwell Jim Gilmore, Tom Wolboldt and far too many other friends and researchers than can be listed here were invaluable in bringing this project to completion at last.

While the pair of books has a suggested price $124.95, my special pricing for the convention will be just $100 for the pair. The books are being published by Ampersand Publishing Group, the same firm that recently released my book on US Half-Tracks and several smaller books of mine.

Thanks to all of you for your help and encouragement with this project.

Sincerely,
David Doyle
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Re: Massive new Dodge book available at 2015 MVPA convention

Post by 52 M-42 »

Is there anyway to get one of these sets at the "special price" if you are not at the show?
DDoyle
PVT
PVT

Post by DDoyle »

52 M-42 wrote:Is there anyway to get one of these sets at the "special price" if you are not at the show?
I am working on that - it will be a few days before all the pieces are in place.

Thanks for your interest!

Sincerely,
David
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

I definitely want a set.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Hi David,

Where will you be located while at the convention? I would like to pick up a set of these.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I too, would like to take a look at these at Topeka.
Thanks!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
DDoyle
PVT
PVT

Post by DDoyle »

Thanks for the interest guys!

Many of you who are not able to attend the 2015 MVPA convention have asked about how you may acquire these books. After considerable amount of work with the publisher, here is what can be done for people in the US (we are still working on the details for non-US enthusiasts - stay tuned!):

Due to a snafu with the printer - I will have a limited number of the books at the convention. I will have sufficient books for all who have contacted me asking me to hold a set for them, and then some. I will hold these requests until Saturday morning the 27th - any not picked up by that time will go on the "first come, first served" pile.

While the books at the convention can be signed by the author, if the purchaser desires, they will not have the slipcovers that will come on the books shipped in July (this is that previously mentioned snafu).

Anyone not attending the convention, but wanting one of these autographed copies can contact me via email at ddoyle9570 at America On Line.com to arrange the details. Payment can be made by PayPal.

If you aren't attending the convention, don't care about an autograph, and DO want a slipcase and have a US shipping address, the publisher is matching my Convention Special pricing for a limited time. By going to the webpage below, you can lock in a copy at this price and the books and slipcover will be shipped to you in July. You will NOT be charged until your order is ready to ship.

Orders placed on the publisher's web page CANNOT be picked up at the convention.

http://www.ampersandpubco.com/us-dodge/

HOWEVER - if you visit that page you will see some page spreads of the book - and if you click on those page spreads you will see even more page spreads of the book - so everyone can get a sneak peak at what is inside.

Looking forward to seeing everyone next week!

Sincerely,
David Doyle
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Hi David,

That little preview looks great, I look forward to meeting you at the Convention and shaking your hand sir.

I will also be having my copy autographed by you.

Thanks,

Bert
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
DDoyle
PVT
PVT

Post by DDoyle »

Thanks to all of you who stopped by my table in Topeka! Thanks too for the kind words many of you shared with me and my wife Denise. As unfortunately too many of you know, I sold completely out of the new Dodge book at the MVPA convention. If anyone else wants to take advantage of the show special pricing ($100 vs the regular $124.95), I would suggest visiting the publisher's website:

http://www.ampersandpubco.com/us-dodge/

I suspect that the books will be offered for advance reservation at that price for a couple more weeks.

It is currently estimated that it will be five weeks before additional copies are available in the US.

Non-US customers should email jeff@ampersandpubco.com with your requests rather than using the on-line form.

Best wishes,
David Doyle
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thank you David for your graciousness in making these books available! It was a pleasure meeting you at Topeka and I look forward to diving into your material!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Gary,

Wait till you break the seal on those books...........Incredible photos that I have never seen before and lots of great information. David did a wonderful job putting this two book set together.

Bert
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

As usual, your work is impeccable, as well as the generous offer, long live Dodge!
Thanks David!
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Tom P
CPL
CPL

Post by Tom P »

Mine arrived today!
Awesome set of books to say the least.
Plenty to read, see and learn.
Great Job!

Thanks
TGP
"47" WDX WW
"52" M37 WW
"54" Willys M38A1
"65" M35A1 WW
To Many Others
http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.p ... temId=2019
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Mine arrived today as well.

Does anyone know how to pack things these days? The boxed set was in a large USPS Priority Mail box, with a small (and useless) piece of kraft paper for "padding". Of course, the boxed set was loose inside the mailing box, and as it banged around in transit, the slipcase was cornered rather badly. Just the latest item I've received that was damaged. :roll:
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Guess it's out everywhere.............I just saw it for sale on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Dodge-Milita ... 5b1843276d

regards,
bob