Introduction, Just jumped in!

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Introduction, Just jumped in!

Post by ashyers »

Thanks for the tips. I spent a sizable part of the evening reading past posts on knuckle rebuilds. Thanks for telling me where to find the Dodge Service Manual, it was referenced a few times and it looks like I'll need to pick up a copy.

I did have some questions on the axle bushings. I'm curious about the specs for clearance. Both dropped out and and have a loose fit on the shaft and housing bore. Are they intended to just float? From what I read it seems that they should have been a press fit in the housing.

Gary,
I have a good crop of "helpers" this year. All of the kids working on the M37 are 2nd year students and almost all of them are enthusiastic and have come to really enjoy wrenching. The M37 is turning out to be a great project for us. It's going to be much more costly than expected, but it is a great teaching tool. No cheap plastic bits to break, no funky hardware, TONS of opportunities for projects, big durable nuts/bolts, and a bit of a history lesson :). We have done a variety of projects over the years and they have proved beneficial for the kids and program. The enthusiasm they generate is contagious and the various classes that work on them remember the experience long after they have left the class. I've been teaching for 12 years and have come to the conclusion that thought the class is labeled "Auto", there's a whole lot more to it than that. The technical skills learned are valuable, but the experience of working as a team on a large project and experiencing it all come together at the end is somewhat hard to define in educational standards. Probably worth more than any amount of "educationalese" will ever be able to accurately describe!

Andy
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Looks like I surprised 'em. Notice the wonder mud, this is tame compared to what was on the underbelly.
Looks like I surprised 'em. Notice the wonder mud, this is tame compared to what was on the underbelly.
P1010487small.jpg (36.88 KiB) Viewed 2318 times
Wow, they seem to get working when I grab the camera!
Wow, they seem to get working when I grab the camera!
P1010489small.jpg (43.89 KiB) Viewed 2318 times
Attachments
Gives new meaning to "knuckleheads"!
Gives new meaning to "knuckleheads"!
P1010486small.jpg (39.84 KiB) Viewed 2318 times
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

It's finally on its wheels again, not a runner yet, but it rolls and the brakes seem to work, so I think we've made some progress. We set the toe today and I'm taking the driveshafts for a balance tomorrow. We're down to a rear diff and rear harness and then we'll have a driver. Since it's rolling now I think we'll give it yet another blast with the pressure washer and then pull the bed so it's ready when the harness arrives. It's actually starting to look like a truck again and the pile of nasty parts is nearly gone. I'm not sure the kids realize just how much we've done, but I do know they want to get it running so we can go for a blast around the parking lot. The troop seats will be handy!
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

That's great progress in such a small amount of time! I'm into my 11th year on mine and just started driving it this year. Those kids must be rocking the house getting your project rolling!

Well done!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

This is great that the kids have gotten this far, in a short amount of time. Make sure to post some pictures of the crew enjoying the first ride.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Can I borrow those kids? Once they finish your M37 they'll have more experience restoring one than I do.
And on the timeline I'm currently on it will stay that way for quite some time. :mrgreen:

regards,
bob
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Well, we're still waiting on some parts, so we did what comes naturally, we took the M further apart!

It's nice to have it on the wheels again. On removing the bed I think I found out a bit more of the truck's history. I think it was actually FLOATED through a giant mud pit. I say this because of the massive amount of dried mud trapped under the bed, in the frame, and on top of the gas tank. We spent a fair amount of time cleaning it yet again today. The frame is actually green, we couldn't verify that until now! Removing the battery box was an adventure, it turns out one of the previous owners decided to weld it in while performing a "fix" on the bolts securing the box and battery tray. Got to love the sledge hammer approach to auto repair! Needless to say it took a bit to remove it... There's also a pretty cool hole in the floor where it appears the driveshaft entered after breaking a u-joint. Yikes!

I need to get some photos posted, it's just we have so little class time I forget to snap any action shots. As far as borrowing the kids, the best bet would be to get your M here now when they are fresh and we're somewhat familiar with 'em. Next year I'll have to retrain a new crew! Once they are useful they leave :). At this point we're all anxious to take this thing for a ride! If we have to wait too long I'm worried we'll disassemble it further, and further, and further...

Andy
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Be sure to take the kids to Lodi-it'll be the BEST fun they can have, next to driving the project truck!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Gary,
When you say Lodi do you mean the Tower Park Show? I'm going to try and get some of the crew to go. They don't like to venture too far from home...

I'm certainly looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll find a few of the oddball parts I'm looking for. I don't think the M will make it, there's too many loose ends and we need to break in the gears, but I do plan on having it tagged and driving this month. I'm sure that will lead to a whole new "to do" list :).

Andy
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Yep, that's the one-Tower Park/Camp Delta, etc. It's a totally relaxed atmosphere with lots of vehicles, parts vendors, shade trees, and plenty of room to move around. These events are one of my favorite parts of our hobby-finding those missing bits after x number of years, and the camraderie is great as well!
Wish I could go but cannot, but am going to the MVPA National Convention in Topeka in June, and a 1st time event in Montana in September.

Also, next year's MVPA National is in Pleasanton, CA which is right close to Oakland-you should sign up so you can attend!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

It's running under its own power again! We should be legal by week's end, but I'm not sure I'm ready for a 60mi trip to Tower Park at this point. We had the truck out in the parking lot today for test runs complete with screaming passengers. The kids were not really prepared for the speed bumps, and then there was the dirt lot at the end of the parking area, seems they left the gate open...OH NO! It was also pretty fun demonstrating low range and driving over the car stops :). Many of the kids suddenly developed an appreciation for how much fun this old monster can be.

All and all things are looking good. So far of our fixes seem to be doing the trick and the truck runs really well. We just need to install front lights, the bed, some of the floor pan bits, and finish off neatly tying up the wiring harness. We've had a few snags, but the project has gone relatively smoothly. Not too bad when you consider we started in January and none of us had ever touched one of these things before. This site and everyone who has pitched in with advice and encouragement has been a HUGE help! I realize we are far from "done", but reaching "driveable" feels really good.

Check out the crew in the photos!
Still needs a few bits...
Still needs a few bits...
P4210544small.jpg (42.61 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
The rear lights are working :)!
The rear lights are working :)!
P4210548small.jpg (43.83 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
AHHHHHHH! Cell phones, they are sucking up my student's brains.
AHHHHHHH! Cell phones, they are sucking up my student's brains.
P4210545small.jpg (37.82 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Excellent pictures of a proud bunch of students. I'm really happy to see that some of todays youth are still willing to get there hands dirty to learn something new.
Hopefully some of them get into this hobby and work on projects of their own in the future.

Thank you for sharing the pictures and getting these kids involved in the M37 project.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

The truck looks great and you have come a long way! The fact that you and your students have gotten it running well in such a short amount of time is very impressive. The body bits and pieces will all fall into place as time goes by.

BTW, they are never "done". Some of us have had ours for decades and no matter what you do there is always at least "one more thing I gotta', wanna', would like to do....." :mrgreen:
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Thanks for the kind words.

We put the bed on the truck and I had promised the kids that I would grade them on their work today. The scale was pretty simple, pass/fail. It went something like this:
a) load the entire crew into the truck: test suspension, test bolts holding bed on.
b) go zipping around the parking lot: test brakes, engine, steering, suspension, students ability to keep lunch down.
c) go through the gate into the open field serving as the right of way for the high tension wires: test suspension, steering, driving skills of instructor going around HT poles.
d) go out onto the school's athletic fields and around the baseball diamonds, test patience of PE instructors, grounds keeper and horn.
e) attempt to make it to Admin. parking lot, fail due to locked gate?!?! (no score, beyond our control)
f) goof off in open field and verify earlier tests
g) perform final evaluation while in parking lot including "panic stop": test brakes, students skills at holding on

I'm glad to say the truck and students all passed with flying colors! Unfortunately my efforts at the DMV failed. I need to return next week...

On a side note the French teacher on campus spotted the M today and stopped in her tracks. I looked up and she said "You have and M37 in the Shop!". I was a bit stunned. She knew exactly what it was. Turns out her cousin and brother both have one and have had the trucks since the '70's! What are the odds???

Here are some photos of the aftermath of our test today that I thought you may enjoy:
Attachments
PostCampusRideRearsmall.jpg
PostCampusRideRearsmall.jpg (48.38 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
PostCampusRideRightsmall.jpg
PostCampusRideRightsmall.jpg (42.1 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
PostCampusRideFrontsmall.jpg
PostCampusRideFrontsmall.jpg (64.54 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

In case you're curious 16 of us fit. It rides much better full!!!
In case you're curious 16 of us fit. It rides much better full!!!
FullLoadsmall.jpg (46.76 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
Attachments
Still needs testing, but it sure looks better than when we dug it up from inside the cargo box!
Still needs testing, but it sure looks better than when we dug it up from inside the cargo box!
FuelPumpReBuilders.jpg (37.07 KiB) Viewed 2110 times