RMS Save This One

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Jess
SSGT
SSGT

RMS Save This One

Post by Jess »

Here's a project or parts for RMS... Maybe a bit optimistic on the asking, but I'd be interested if I didn't have 4 already..

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/p ... 51644.html

Jess
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Re: RMS Save This One

Post by m37jarhead »

Anything is restorable but the M37 shown is probably worth not much more than just for the parts.
$3,500.00 is more than just optimistic for the seller. It can't be worth more
than $800 to $1,000, in the real world, if that. The phrase POS comes to mind.
If anyone buys it for $3,500 they ONLY have to put another $10,000.00 in it to
make it anywhere near drivable.
JB
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

I have 4 CDN trucks, 2 runners, a sleeper and a parts truck. I don't have $3500 in the whole bunch. RMS is closer to that one than I am and he should look at it for parts. If it was a winch truck, I'd make the voyage to look at it just for the winch and rare Acme pto. Anyone can ask whatever they want but as they say, asking and getting are two different things. If it belongs to someone on here, we're not being critical just realistic. I'd go scrap value but not much more given its two ferry rides and a barge trip away from where most of my fleet resides.

Jess
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

yup that's a $500 to $1500 truck. no carb no brakes no lights and Saskatchewan tags.
granted it may come with the kitchen sink :lol:
.............................. use it ...............
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

saved it :mrgreen: Image
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

O.K., you saved it. Now what are you going to do with it? :D

Btw, what is the story with the hard top?

52 M-42
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

Ha Ha, If you like that one, I have a few more that you could look at.... Now we need pics to see what you got in that deal. Body looked not too bad for around here and reasonably complete. Good thing you have lots of room for storing these beauties!
I'll drop in next time I'm over that way to see what you are up to.
Jess
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

52 M-42 wrote:O.K., you saved it. Now what are you going to do with it? :D 52 M-42
Not a clue :lol: Last Monday I was sitting having my morning coffee and it hit me "I'm going to buy that truck". I don't know were the thought came from, I just sent an email stating that I would hate to see it squished and that I would be there on Saturday.
I was left with how to get it home and to my surprise I managed to borrow a Tow truck for the day. 8)

52 M-42 wrote: Btw, what is the story with the hard top?
the hard top is a late type without the inner metal skin, has holes from the roof rack a bit of pitting small jackes @ seam and a smear/ dent on the passenger side.... you driving up to look at heaters and a hard top?
Jess wrote: Now we need pics to see what you got in that deal
I busted my camera so picks will have to wait.
Jess wrote: I have a few more that you could look at
I know but I don't think there going anywhere soon, but one day I may get a feeling and manage to line up a barge. geez if I managed to get a tow truck for a day, a tug and barge doesn't seem like a reach. :mrgreen:
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

I may have to take a trip up there this fall. I really need to see all your stuff and pick your brain on restoration stuff.

My daughter drives up there fairly often. I may have to hitch a ride with her in the next couple of months.

Did you ever get a chance to look for those heater parts?

52 M-42
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

RMS, Take a look at the passenger side of the hard top, above the glove box and see if the CFR number is still visible there. On the foam lined tops, they sometimes are difficult to see. Also, check the frame stamp on the top front of the frame just behind the bumper. If still visible, that should match the data plate on the glove box door. Unfortunately, the army records were purged and CFR numbers reused but there is still some history there. If there are any visible markings on the truck, they could also give some insight into what unit and purpose it served in part of its life. PM me if you don't want to post any of the numbers as I am collecting data on the survivors. I glad you managed to save this one too.
Jess
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

52 M-42 wrote:I may have to take a trip up there this fall. Did you ever get a chance to look for those heater parts? 52 M-42
come on up and Ill give you the rust tour. I looked at my heater parts but dont know what Im looking at :? if you can send me pics of what your looking for I can try and match them up.
Jess wrote: Take a look at the passenger side of the hard top, above the glove box and see if the CFR number is still visible there
its there on the roof and the frame, numbers don't match, HT could be off a different rig. Ive got 5 running m37s in the yard right now do you want all the numbers ? what about the trucks that have been striped do you want that info too ? send me a pm with what your looking for.

So this truck came with an aluminum crane/jib can anyone tell me what its from and/or any specs? Image
its 18ft long and has Derrick Acquisition GS17703 stenciled above the winch. part number of the boom is 7613521 and all part #s start with 761****
Hal O'Peridol
PFC
PFC

Post by Hal O'Peridol »

I saw that one pop back up on Craigslist, it's the one that was up on the Sunshine Coast, correct?

Robin, do you or anyone else in the lower mainland have a couple of ice straight fenders for sale? Both of mine are banged up and dented.
USAR 1980-1983
US Army 1983 to 1993 05H20Y4, 98G2LGM
Desert Storm 1990 to 1991, 1st Inf Div.
1984 M1009 CUCV
1944 GPW 1/4 T
1953 M37 3/4 T
M100 1/4T trailer
1 M416 1/4T trailer
More Army Surplus stuff than you can shake a stick at.
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

that was the truck on the sunshine coast and it did come with nice strait fenders but we will have to wait on Chars to pop out the light bucket/mount replacement panels as the fenders have lots of swiss cheese. I do have other fenders but they require the same repair :x Ive got a big hammer you can borrow :P
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

Hal, Check out the Spokane Craigs list for fenders. Last time I checked there were still some available. http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/4633600326.html
He also had a nice complete box listed for awhile buts its gone now.
edit : I also have a couple but like RMS, they have the effects of the climate and will need some Repair Patches once they are available again.
Jess
Hal O'Peridol
PFC
PFC

Post by Hal O'Peridol »

I saw those for sale over in Spokane. Problem is it's a 12 hour round trip there and back, plus time spent hagglin over the fenders. Mine are rust free, I may just pull them and see how much a body shop will charge to beat them out. I have tried bodywork before when I had a Triumph Spitfire addiction, usually turned out worse instead of better. :oops:
USAR 1980-1983
US Army 1983 to 1993 05H20Y4, 98G2LGM
Desert Storm 1990 to 1991, 1st Inf Div.
1984 M1009 CUCV
1944 GPW 1/4 T
1953 M37 3/4 T
M100 1/4T trailer
1 M416 1/4T trailer
More Army Surplus stuff than you can shake a stick at.