Antique Plates

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

US1951

Antique Plates

Post by US1951 »

Hi All. New M-37 owner, and new to the forum. I am looking at registering my truck this week here in Massachusetts. I searched the forum and found an old thread ('07-08) on this topic, but nothing more recent. Does anyone have any advice (specific to MA or not) on registering as an antique? Another option looks to be Year of Manufacture plates. Any great benefits to doing either of these? Downside?
Cal_Gary

Re: Antique Plates

Post by Cal_Gary »

Welcome aboard US! I can't speak to MA specifically but most states that offer antique or vintage plates have the advantage/disadvantage that no vehicle inspection is required; also that these plates are specified for "limited use" as in X miles, to and from events, etc. I'm sure some of our other members will weigh in. Nice to have you with us!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Here in Ohio w have many options for MV's. You can get standard plates if you are using it for an everyday driver. I have the historical vehicle plate which is good for the life of the vehicle for a one time fee. However this is suppossed to be "limited use" to and from special events. I drive my rig pretty much as I wish. Most police are cool and pay no mind if you truly have the plate on an antique. Folks with rusty 80's Omni's or Fairmonts as daily drivers trying to get away cheap and avoid inspections are usually the ones they target. In Ohio you can also register your MV's serial as your plate and only have the painted stencil if you are a purist. You can also get vintage year of mfg plates and register them or vanity plates. In Ohio the historical plate was the least expensive. :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
US1951

Post by US1951 »

Thanks guys. I may be wrong, but I believe in MA you still need to have the car inspected even with an antique or YOM plate. So, I think the only real benefit (besides a cool plate) is that you can get antique car insurance, which should be cheaper. I do plan to use my M around town, and out on the beach, so I just wonder if that can loosely fall under "test driving" as far as the use restrictions go. Anyone have experience with this in MA? or have similar restrictions in their state as far as use that they don't pay attention to? any issues with insurance? Thanks all!
majorhitt
SGT
SGT

Post by majorhitt »

Here in Pa. you could get the one time plate. I got PA Antique Historic Vehicle. Sounds nice. I put a 500 mile limit on it with the insurance co. Could have gone to 1000 mile limit, but Didn't think I would need it.
mix4coal
PVT
PVT

Post by mix4coal »

Here in Michigan I plated the M with a 53 plate. Its a one time license/registration fee thats valid for life. Its to be used for shows, club gatherings and parades. The first day out with the 53 plate on we noticed a black and white following us. After a few miles the blue lights came on. The cop said at first he wanted to check out the truck because its so cool. Then he said he ran the plate and it didn't come up in the system. I showed the registration and he took some pictures and I was on my way again. We went to our local police station and had them run the plate, Didn't come up on their system either. He showed us the computer in his car and said there is a hundred ways a vehicle could be listed and said Sec State doesn't make it easy to find. He said as long as I have registration we are good to go. So the advantage is a cheap one time registration fee and cool looking vintage plate. Disadvantage, get pulled over every time a cop behind me runs the plate and cant find it in the system. I'll take my chances. Vintage plates all the way.
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Murf »

I found my dad in VA original never used 1956 plates that we restored for his T-bird. You can take them to DMV and they will actually register them to the car.

In NC you can register the vehicle and will get a current tag they say you keep under your seat and can display a tag from the same year on the back.