questions on V8 upgrade

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

bobcat1/178th
PVT
PVT

questions on V8 upgrade

Post by bobcat1/178th »

Well guys...was hoping to keep my 53 as original as possible but I need to have the truck capable to of towing a M151 MUTT (jeep) on a small 2 axle trailer.
I know I will need more power to do this as well as better brakes and axles upgraded for better high end speed......All of which means $$$$$....

My question is what detailed info is out there to give me a good idea what needs to be done and cost estimates to see if I can afford it.......

The good news is the truck will be ground up resto as it has not been done before.......So it will be a fresh slate to work with....

Anyone around the far south Chicago area that can be recommended to call on for advice during the project?

Was told 318 Chrysler works well and modification kits available
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Re: questions on V8 upgrade

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

BobCat,

The MoPar 318 is a great improvement for power, but don't plan on speed as part of the engine upgrade. It alone will get you some because of more RPMs. Tires are the next best step for some speed with the V8.

Best engine donor is a 97 truck. You can use its engine ecu and factory fuel injection. Its a nice clean power package, just add the correct throw out bushing and follow the ugly truckling conversion.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Which models of truck are you talking about Dr. Watson?

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

My 318 came out of a 1968 W200 Sweptline, and it was used to re-power my 1953 Dodge M37.

The '97's are any of the Dodge Trucks in that year, Ram, Dakota, Durango.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Thanks......
Rare machines around here but I will have a good look, repower as opposed to rebuild is always a more attractive option and the Magnum should be an almost bolt on job from the LA small block install I have.....

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
PFC1952M37
PVT
PVT

Post by PFC1952M37 »

Howdy from Kempner, Texas,
I barely got things put away from the trip to Fairfield and went into the hospital for a shoulder replacement. My movement is restricted so I have the luxury of going back and reading all the posts in each thread in each Forum.
First of all, did you have any loss or damage from the recent storms? There wasn’t much information on any of the Forums.
Second, I need to brag a little. This year my son, recently retired Colonel from the US Army and my two grandsons, 11 and 14, made it to Fairfield. The highlight was the 14 year old learning to drive our WC52 at the fairgrounds. And to tie in a little history, I bought our WC52 from Tim Peterson who designed the disc brake conversion.
It is surprising how many On Topic posts there are that have information that is additional to the main topic. As I have been going back and reading these whole threads, I found one of your posts that contains a perfect example of this.
In your response to “Re: questions on V8 upgrade” Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:49 pm, you said, “My 318 came out of a 1968 W200 Sweptline, and it was used to re-power my 1953 Dodge M37.” This caught my attention since I need a hard-to-find part for a 1970 W200. If you have access to that 1968 W200, are the parking brake cables still available?
I have not had very good luck with “W” series Power Wagons. It seems that they do not weather very well and typically, the rust problem makes them donors for major components and the bones are not picked clean.
I basically need the entire parking brake cables from the equalizer (where the single cable from the hand brake lever terminates) and connects to the individual cables that go to the two rear wheels.
Can you help?
P.S. I am also having some computer issues. It appears my email is a little out of whack and posting on this Forum may be my only connection with the outside world. We’ll see.
Paul Cook 512-932-2377
You must BUY the book if you want to go BY the book.