Bad Engine Block?????

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

bobcat1/178th
PVT
PVT

Bad Engine Block?????

Post by bobcat1/178th »

need some opinions........Sent my 230 block to a machine shop to have it cleaned and checked.....it was magnafluxed and cleaned and found to need some work.....valve guides and some seats done, bored 20 over. other work. total 1200$ in parts and labor. now I get a call when they decked it and pressure tested it they find a crack between cylinders 3 and 4 that leaked...and that it had been sleeved before...now after I have words with the shop tomorrow as to why they didn't find it with magaflux or mention the sleeving here's my question.........

my guess is the block is junk......and putting new parts on a tired/damaged block is waste of time and money. Or can this thing be salvaged and not have to worry about it failing while on the road without putting a boat load of money into it?

Ideas???????
Cal_Gary

Re: Bad Engine Block?????

Post by Cal_Gary »

I'd never be comfortable with a cracked block myself; recommend you PM Charles at M-Series since 230 rebuilds are part of his HMV business-he's probably rebuilt several hundred over the years, and likely has a number of good 230 blocks hanging around.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

If I'm reading your post correctly, they didn't see the crack or sleeves when they Magna-fluxed the block. :shock: I would have zero confidence in this shop at this point. I sure hope that they aren't planning on charging you for the deck machining.

I would look for a different block from a reputable source (M-Series Rebuild, MWM, VPW, etc) and not take it to the shop that you mentioned above.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
bobcat1/178th
PVT
PVT

Post by bobcat1/178th »

yep.....I plan on a fight with them about the price........I have access to another block.....next question is can another shop switch out any of the new parts if needed that were installed in the junk block? things like cam bearings, valve guides????
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

The cam bearings MIGHT, but probably not be saved with careful work but they are easily distorted and it is not worth the effort when new ones are not all that expensive, the cost to you was for parts and labor and to install the new ones in your engine is a small price for parts but mostly all shop time and having the correct tools for the job.
Guides can not be removed and used again, the 2 ways to remove them from the block are to cut threads inside the top of the guide with a tap, thread in a bolt then using a puller withdraw the guide. The other is even more destructive and involves using a specially made punch turned to fit the inner bore of the guide with a shoulder that rides against the top and with a hammer driving the guide down into the tappet chamber then with an even larger hammer and drift ,break the bottom of the guide off then drive the remaining piece from the block. So you see the parts you ask about in the cracked block are not likely to be salvaged for reuse, sorry.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

I'd pay them for manga flux, and not a penny more.
51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

I would think that you only need to pay them for the block boil out and magna-flux. The seats and cam bearings are unsalvageable.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
bobcat1/178th
PVT
PVT

Post by bobcat1/178th »

they agreed no charges beyond magna flux.....still with the parts ordered some of which can be used in another block (I hope) it was $628 for a block that goes to the scrap yard......a replacement has been found for $100 but now we start all over again.......