How much $$$ you got in YOUR truck?!!

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

choppa
CPL
CPL

How much $$$ you got in YOUR truck?!!

Post by choppa »

I ask because even starting with a rust free, great condition, running truck, it is STILL adding up to where I could have bought one done, or at least done with all the major stuff done already, for less money.

It started out (like all my trucks I guess) as me (in this case) wanting an M37, to use around the cabin to get firewood and such.. maybe Ill just do a little here, a little there and be happy with it. NOT! never the case for me.. I gotta have it better than that!

Same old story I guess.. I have built countless ww2 trucks, and for the most part, I could have bought one complete cheaper. (or so I think?)

So, my truck. my story.

1963 M37B1- purchase price : 4500
Details of truck as bought: 2,300 original miles.. (thats 2 thousand three hundred :wink: ) has the original speedo in place..
used by a small school district to haul trash out of classrooms. never left the school grounds.. Running, rust free, some small dents from use, complete with all troop seats, excellent tailgate, doors, all glass etc. NO top, but all frame work was included..seats in good shape but need new canvas..came with new batteries. new NDT's.

Work done by me: All brake hoses, master and wheel cylinders.(shoes were like new)
tore off front end to sandblast the many layers of paint. NO RUST found anywhere. replaced headlights, rubber seals, rubber bushings, light harness, windsheild gaskets/rubber, door seals, window seals, threshold seals, new taillights. new canvas top

left to do and have purchased parts for:

dropped fuel tank and ready to re-seal. new sending unit, new fuel filter and fuel lines,. rebuild carb, install pertronix module. n w seat covers. data plates, rubber floor weather seals.

To date , with purchase, hauling, new parts, sandblasting primer and paint, I lost track but am up around the 7500 mark or so.

and beleive me, she aint at a level of resto I would have normally done with a frame off...I like a clean, freshly painted frame and underneath... I like a motor that you could eat off of.. had em! however, I am thinking with the abundance of M37's out there, and the money they bring, it just aint worth it. I could buy a truck in this condition for less than 7500K... (or could I?) maybe I am wrong.

I assume I hit what I call the break point, where any more money invested is thrown away. But I dont have a choice at this point but to continue if I want a reliable truck. I HAVE to go thru the entire fuel system.. I need a good, safe brake system..I had to have working lights. I needed a canvas top.

I like those 15K dollar restorations, but I cant justify the cash. Yet, I want a good runner so the $$ flows.. luckily for me all of the big ticket items are in great shape. tie rods, steering box, radiator, motor, clutch, tranny, transfer and axles.. even the body is in good shape with no rust found anywhere. so I am lucky there.

But I bet many of you started with what you thought was a "bargain" M37 for a few grand, and have sunk thousands into it. especially you frame off restored guys! I know the costs add up. Been there, done that on past ww2 trucks. but I always got my money back as command cars and ww2 jeeps are always getting good $$

I know there is no way to put a monetary figure to the pleasures of driving and owning...and its part of what we do, building trucks for pleasure..but there must be a break point you all cross and wonder to continue or stop there.

so, whats your story. Or would you prefer not to put to print the numbers less the wife see the figures :)

seriously.. what have you guys got into your rigs, what level of detail, or resto, or whatever, did you do to it. and do you think you could ever re-coop the cash put into it?
Cal_Gary

Re: How much $$$ you got in YOUR truck?!!

Post by Cal_Gary »

I'm sure I have 5 figures into mine now since I started with a $600 basket case, have all my receipts but have not totaled them up. I figure about 2k more for blasting the frame, prepping, priming, painting, and reinstalling the body panels will get me up to 10K if I ever sold it (which I have NO plans to do until I can't physically handle the repairs anymore).
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

I've had my truck for 35 years. I don't even want to think about totaling all the money I've put into it. The file folders with the receipts are huge.

Also, to be fair, I'd have to deduct from that amount all the money I've taken in from selling extra parts, firewood, using it to move, weekends in the woods (when we could still get into them), etc.

It is also the only pick up truck I've ever owned, so savings from payments, interest, etc.

I've rebuilt it twice and accumulated a lot of accessories, so those would have to be included.

So, if I've just spent an average of $1,000 dollars a year (that's less than $100 per month) it is $35,000 plus the original $1,800 I paid for the truck and trailer. If I average $3,000 a year it is well over $100,000.

Be careful what you ask - the answer could be really scary! :wink:
choppa
CPL
CPL

Post by choppa »

OMG :o :shock:

one of the things I am battling with is "how far do I go" with the resto/refurb/rebuild.

I know I like eliminating all potential areas that could bite me in the future.
Hence a complete system fix as I go on the fuel.
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Well, that's why some people call military trucks an "addiction". It just sort of constantly bleeds your wallet; too much one month and you slack off for a couple of months and then you're back for "just one more little thing" which turns into a much bigger "thing". So you back off for awhile again; but you keep coming back for that sense of accomplishment, or whatever (rush, high, etc.).

On the positive side, my wife points out that it is far better than a bar, or a girlfriend, divorce or golf. She knows where I am, what I am doing and the truck comes in handy occasionally for hauling stuff.

Plus, when I'm dead she and the kids can sell all the stuff and make a few bucks without Uncle Sugar's greedy hands in the transaction.

So it is not all negative. You just have to take a longer view. :wink:

But don't deceive yourself on what these trucks cost over time. It's probably way more than you think (or want to know).
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Wow I had not thought about this.... to much for sure. I've had mine for a while, initial out lay three g's, I'm sure I've snuck, tucked about 15 into the OD Goddess as Monkey Man refers to her as, aka: "One Who must be Obeyed"! I bought my truck in 1999, but the guys are right, wife knows where you are, hard to be a drunk, at least for me. :roll:
Forgot to mention, are we ever really finished?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

No.

Not until you are dead or physically unable to drive or work on it.

That's the simple, but harsh answer.

Welcome to the addiction or affliction.

You pick. :wink: :D

They are fun, though...... :D
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

I paid $800 for mine and probably have added $5K to it. My truck was stripped of so many things.
Last edited by refit1701 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
choppa
CPL
CPL

Post by choppa »

to refit1701:

5K I think you tried to type in>?

If so, 5K and your truck is in what condition? running and driving today? or still work in progress?
I know running and driving mean different things to different people. Mine is running and driving.. but how reliable is it to take 50 miles away from home? I wouldnt take mine very far from the safety of home curerently... not enough faith in her yet...But she looks good :)

Ya know, I once bought a "running and EXCELLENT driving" G506. sight unseen other than pics, where the previuos owner took it 100 miles to shows each way. By god, when I got it, I couldnt imagine how he did it.. it was a death trap! But I know he did these trips as other freinds seen it at shows and knew he lived 100 miles from these shows..

so my point is running and driving does mean different things to different people..

So I started this tread sorta because of the "break point" decision as mentioned in my opening post. am I there? I doubt it knowing myself.. I been stranded before because of being "frugal" and not addressing a part of a fuel system right off... I been stranded because of any number of things on my earlier rigs where I didnt address EVERYTHING of vital working order before hitting the roads... so, I learned to open up the wallet and address these areas or leave the darn truck in the garage

But then I monitor Ebay and other places where these M37's are sold....and see "currnetly running and driving rigs" for a lot less than I got into mine at this stage.

case in point, there is a nice looking M37 in Burleson, TX with as of this writing, 23 hours left and just shy of 5K.. its a driver, registered, etc. more than I got into mine :cry:

so, where is the break point .. for me, its once she is fully reliable enough where I know it wont leave me stranded.. yet look good enough to drive to be proud of being behind the wheel..I am commited now...hopefully I wont be TOO far beyond the actual value if I ever needed to re-sell
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

iv got $16,500 in my first m37, it took 4 years and I did it all wrong. I did it one piece at a time, payed for bad help and wasted thousands on rattle cans......she was so beat and worn from the loggers.....I should have started with something better..... No it was worth every minute and penny spent. Now that I know the process. my last 37 only cost $4500 it's only lacking lockers, 4:89s and hubs
.............................. use it ...............
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Choppa makes a valid point regarding driveability and cost. I've had mine 10 years and just now feel safe driving it, but still carry a full set of tools, jumper cables and tow chain (and a phone) in case I get stalled somewhere. My limited funding drove the length of repair time for parts and tools but I didn't set any deadline for being on the road so I consider it a success that the truck is now roadworthy, considering (again) the basket case I started with. I still have leaky seals and such to deal with but those I consider minor as long as I religiously top off my gear boxes (an essential part of preventive maintenance we should all be doing) :)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
choppa
CPL
CPL

Post by choppa »

nice looking rig there, RMS!

4500 and ONLY lacking 4:89 gears and manual locking hubs? Thats a good deal then, I think.

BTW.. that Burleson, TX Ebay rig auction is over. Sold price was 6,601.. damn.... those tires alone are 300 each...
then again, how "minimal" is the rust under the headlights on front fenders? hopefully minimal as stated.

see my point? If thats really and truely a driver worthy of a 40 mile round trip as stated, and runs and drives as stated, its a great deal. I think.
and less money than I currently have in my truck... I figure before I am done, Ill have closer to 9K or not more in it. way more than I anticipated putting into her.. but then again, it will be done right. and I did start with a rust free and very sild truck, so I shouldnt complain

Did this rig get purchased by anyone who frequents this forum by chance?

I live in the DFW area so anyone around with one to talk M37 please let me know! If you bought this ebay rig, I would love to see it if your a local MV nut...
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Probably no more than $8000, as I did most of the work myself, the only work paid for was welding. I rebuilt the engine, gear cases, winch and did all the blasting painting and marking. I started with a very poor condition shell of a truck and had to collect thru donation by fire companies the missing large and small parts.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

Lets see, I got the truck years ago for 2k running but bad brakes. Then have collected a mountain of stuff to fix it up. I don't want to know how much I have spent.

I have done an M38A1 and love the restoration process and taking it to its first club outing. That first outing is neat cause all the other members come and view it and ooh and aah.

Now I just need to get off my duff and fix the M37. :roll:

Alan
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
Juan
SGT
SGT

Post by Juan »

$13K was the grand total till 2010 with the truck price, the 6.2 diesel/3053A repower kit, the Disc brake kit, power brake/steering, the freight from U.S., import duties, paint, D60 and D70 axles and every nut and bolt taken into account. (got a book that would make a bean counter to a shame)
After that I've purchased a set of 6 Goodrich tires and had the stock wheels modified for them, Can't remember the money.

Now I have a rebuilt GM 6.5TD engine, a ZF 5S-42 tranny married to a brand new Atlas 4 speed T-case in my bench ready to be swapped into my M-37 to freshen up the powertrain a bit. Just need the time to do the wrenching. I've been colleting the refreshening parts for years so I can't tell how much exactly add up.
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina