How much $$$ you got in YOUR truck?!!

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Re: How much $$$ you got in YOUR truck?!!

Post by Cal_Gary »

Better late than never, Jack! No such thing as long-winded here-we like knowing the details of the purchase, condition, repairs and such, so we all know that we are not alone in the challenges we face in getting them back into service!

I'd jump on that winch truck if you can, as I'm sure you'll miss the one you just sold.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Karl Kostman
PVT
PVT

Post by Karl Kostman »

Wow this subject is one that I had to learn the HARD WAY! My first resto was a 71 M-35A2 the truck was in great shape mechanically and the only rust was one little spot below the pass. door (very common), the engine ran great pulled strong so I started working on it and buying things for it to make it MORE valuable (REALLY)? I went so far as to get all new data plates and had them engraved with all the original info. Then came paint after hand sanding everything including the entire undercarriage and drive line, and of course a guy needs a winch on the truck and I got it reasonable but of course it needed rebuilding, then came the great deal on the NOS hot water heater for the cab and complete rebuilding of the troop seats and since they always come with white oak that is what should be used right, it only makes sense right? When all is complete said and done I have about 17,000$ and around 400 hrs of time into this Deuce! YES its one of the nicest Deuces I have ever seen but in the REAL world it really going to be worth around 12K to 14K on the very high side, yes I would like to think I learned a LOT!
I picked up a 52 M-37 a couple months ago, its my second M-37 and so far its been all the axles pulled and all new bearing and seals there. then went through the entire brake system found two bad wheel brake cylinders, complete flushing etc. there. Then a complete rebuilding of the ignition system, Cap, points, condensor and coil, then of course with all this stuff it obviously needs the carb rebuilt, it really did the needle and seat were leaking. It came with original military heavy lug type tires, virtually brand new BUT as we all know military trucks need NDTs to be real, so I located a set of 4 original M-37 wheels with rings but they need to be sand blasted and painted before the NEW NDCC tires are mounted. Then came the rebuilding of the troop seats and paint, and since I want it to be an M-42 command post truck that adds another 2K and I paid 8K for the truck and drove 2000 miles to get it!
NOPE in reality I dont think I learned a darned thing from my first Deuce since I sure seem to be going down that same old very expensive road again!
WOW!
Karl
billy
SSGT
SSGT

Post by billy »

About $10000 and probably $2000 to go.
That will give me disc brakes and power steering as well as the 318 engine and 435 transmission.
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

Well I bought it and had to ship it cross country, we're painting it now, at least $15k at this point. I'm doing 4.89 gears and knuckle rebuild this summer, oh I did pay for the gears, add that, plus the guy swapping the gears labor I'm sure at least three thousand more by then. At least my tires are all good!
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Wow, you've definitely got a lot invested based on your description. I haven't totaled up all the entries in my journal but I'm sure to have 5 figures in mine by now just based on the length of time owning mine (from 2004).
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

i have my full page receipts in a ring binder, but the small ones like from Fastenal and so many others in a big cigar box. I can barely close the lid now. If I put a value on my man-hours, it would be about what a Space Shuttle costs to build. I need to tape it shut, and never open it again.

Just read the new posts from those with so much snow. I just cannot do snow or ice or sleet, nor cold weather anymore. Now Sitting on a comfortable chair in a T shirt, on the deck of our beach cottage on an island just south of Charleston, hot coffee, toast with jelly, with the deer out heading back into the saltmarsh. I am just too old to deal with a cold Winter anymore. I told my wife if it is too cold for me to do what I want in my garage, reloading and such, it is too cold, regardless of the actual temperature. In a few months, I will complaining about the summer heat and humidity.

enjoy what you have, guys.

NV
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I have done no body work on mine. Only mechanical and electrical restoration. It is no longer cheap and easy to do. (if done correctly and completely) So, with the purchase of the truck, rebuild of engine, trans, transfer, pto, winch, front and rear axles, canvas, radios, instruments, electrical and accessories, I am over $20,000. I quit keeping receipts at $14,000. Someday, maybe, I will kill the patina and do the body.
In contrast, I have less money in a full restoration of an M38, the purchase of and mechanical rehab of a Navy DJ3A and the rolling chassis of a GPW.
I can only take solice in the fact I am spending less than if I was playing with tracked vehicles.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

I don't know how much I've spent, and I don't want to know. :lol:

The irony is that I'm certain that I've spent more on additions to my shop building and on tools and equipment in order to work on the M37, than I spent to buy the truck initially. Of course, being a toolaholic doesn't help. :oops:
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

I made the mistake of keeping a spreadsheet. :shock: DON'T DO THIS!
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

I restore very old vehicles for a living (pre war Rolls Royce and Bentley)
The word in the auto restoration business is: it is really easy to make a small fortune restoring antique automobiles, all you need to do is start with a large fortune!
Cheers!
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I helped on a 1920's New Market Rolls Royce in the 80's. Pebble Beach job. The car has only recently become 'worth' the cost of the restoration.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

NAM VET wrote:i have my full page receipts in a ring binder, but the small ones like from Fastenal and so many others in a big cigar box. I can barely close the lid now. If I put a value on my man-hours, it would be about what a Space Shuttle costs to build. I need to tape it shut, and never open it again.

Just read the new posts from those with so much snow. I just cannot do snow or ice or sleet, nor cold weather anymore. Now Sitting on a comfortable chair in a T shirt, on the deck of our beach cottage on an island just south of Charleston, hot coffee, toast with jelly, with the deer out heading back into the saltmarsh. I am just too old to deal with a cold Winter anymore. I told my wife if it is too cold for me to do what I want in my garage, reloading and such, it is too cold, regardless of the actual temperature. In a few months, I will complaining about the summer heat and humidity.

enjoy what you have, guys.

NV

You make a valid point there Nam Vet. In the middle of all that snow I was questioning why I asked for this degree of a workout but love the look of snow and enjoy puttering around in the M37 in it. The looks I get from the slide-offs and neighbors is priceless!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
thmpr

Post by thmpr »

Here it is ... 6/6/18 to date: $19,335.56. I keep a detailed spreadsheet of every purchase. AND ... I'm only 1/2 way complete! What it is:

1954 Canadian M152 Command and Communications truck being modified into one BAD ASS extreme overland camper. Truck is called Sea To Shining Sea (or bust) with custom door logos and waving flag tribute micrographic covering the command box. Build thread on Steel Soldiers:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthrea ... ugout-Mods

Price includes original purchase price of a clean, running M152 of $8,500, shipping, tax, licensing, insurance, (2) Izusu 4BD2T 4 cyliinder turbo engines - runner and parts, NV4500 5 speed overdrive trans, NP205 transfer, AAM 11.5 ring gear 4.10 dually rear axle with discs, 6 dually wheels and tires, NOS M37 rear fenders to be grafted into body, large bi-fold rear patio/deck/motorcycle ramp with two Rotopax and Pioneer tool rack, motorcycle wheel chock, large matching expedition rack with custom mounts, 8 LED Zombie work lights, Nathan K3LA train horn and small ATV deck winch, Viair compressor, air tank, dither valve, all fittings and hoses, Gobi cab heater and separate air conditioner, Hair shore power or generator portable room air conditioner with outside venting, Whynter two compartment freezer/refrigerator now on casters, Camp Chef oven with 2 burner cooktop, stainless sink, pump, drain, faucet, 8 Waterbricks, 24" flat screen HDTV on locking mount, RV load panel with batt charger, shore power recept and 30A cable, elec. outlets, batt gauge, loads of fasteners, hinges, metal, completely rebuilt rear springs, shackles, custom, u-bolts, leaf plates, bushings, Meritor shocks and a whole bunch more I've forgotten about.

Still needs a $2,500 built Dana 60 4.10 disc front axle, rebuild front suspension same as rear, power steering, underfloor hydroboost, master cylinder and proportioning valve, $1,560 for 6 STA Super Lugs + mounting and balancing, new gauges including tach, EGT and boost, Double Din stereo with GPS and rear backup camera, upholstery, box floor, insulation, some rust mitigation, body, paint and powder coat and, and, and.

Looking at $30,000 plus when complete. But, there will be NOTHING like it on the road and an instant crowd gatherer. Built to reliably explore America's backroads, parks, monuments and beyond, dry camp, fish, hunt, pan. All 4 corners plus Alaska or bust.

Have stuff for sale in the swap meet section. Buy my 251 engine :-)

Glenn
Phoenix, AZ

p.s. Built a second, high-ceiling, 2.5 car garage with tall 9'3" garage door, led lighting and air conditioning to fit the M152 and loaded expedition rack. Had to re-roof entire house to match. More expensive than the truck. Add that to the bill?
Last edited by thmpr on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

That's quite a project, Glenn-thanks for weighing in!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

It is pretty impressive in person.