1953 M37

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

1953 M37

Post by F18hornetm »

Finally got a chance to pull it in the shop and start assessing things. Not bad over all, but like all old MVs needs some stuff. This is our 4th MV that we've fixed up. We meaning my 24 year old son and myself. My wife does visit the shop often to see how its going, after all its her truck :D . I need to warn those that are die-hard every nut and bolt must be correct kind of guys. Thats wonderful and I think awesome that those vehicles are better than new. This one as well as the rest of mine are not like that. Over all it will not be modified much but small things changed to make it easier to get running reliably. This one is not even going to be adopted by the Marine Corps like the rest of our trucks but will stay Air Force.
Next post I'll add some pictures. I also want to thank others who have posted pics of their truck. This is first M37 Ive ever seen in person so Ive learned alot from them.
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Re: 1953 M37

Post by F18hornetm »

Trying one to see what size is best, here is our other toys
2014-03-08_15.26.10 - Copy.jpg
2014-03-08_15.26.10 - Copy.jpg (75.39 KiB) Viewed 6571 times
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

On the lift checking it out and looking at the massive reciever hitch someone installed. Welded to the frame, what a mess to cut off.
The attachment imagem371.jpg is no longer available
The attachment imagem371.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
imagem371.jpg
imagem371.jpg (35.81 KiB) Viewed 6562 times
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

Gotta love the trailer lights with 24 volt bulbs in them :lol:
imagem372.jpg
imagem372.jpg (29.85 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

Old hitch all cut off and frame cleaned up. New pintle hook installed.

m373.jpg
m373.jpg (42.69 KiB) Viewed 6555 times
m374.jpg
m374.jpg (27.54 KiB) Viewed 6555 times
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

Found cracked exhaust manifold while removing all the rusted out exhaust. Will remove it and try to weld. Have had fair luck before on cast, so will try once anyway
Found cracked exhaust manifold while removing all the rusted out exhaust. Will remove it and try to weld. Have had fair luck before on cast, so will try once anyway
m375.jpg (28.64 KiB) Viewed 6554 times
In process of striping out all wiring. Hoped to use over some but no way. This wire feeds the only breaker in the truck,
In process of striping out all wiring. Hoped to use over some but no way. This wire feeds the only breaker in the truck,
m376.jpg (26.88 KiB) Viewed 6554 times
Ignition switch wiring. Someone used lots of silicone and tape. After last night we have every wire out of the truck.
Ignition switch wiring. Someone used lots of silicone and tape. After last night we have every wire out of the truck.
m377.jpg (31.71 KiB) Viewed 6554 times
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

The truck looks much better already, with that extra weight off the back and the trailer lights gone. Were you able to save the rear bumperettes?

You might want to consider getting the rest of the pintle hitch assembly that allows the hitch to rotate. If you ever get a trailer to haul behind the truck it will keep the trailer yoke from being twisted and bent.

Just a suggestion.

52 M-42
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Forgot to add, that really, the best solution to the wiring issue is just to get new harnesses from Vintage Wiring of Maine. They are not cheap, but they are much cheaper than anything else when you consider your time, frustration, aggravation, and nickle and dime expense trying to rewire or patch together the wiring on these trucks.

Just another suggestion to consider. Especially since it is going to be your wife's truck. :wink:
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

Dash lights were in terrible condition like the rest of the wiring. We had an idea to take apart and solder in new wire, clean up
Dash lights were in terrible condition like the rest of the wiring. We had an idea to take apart and solder in new wire, clean up
m378.jpg (31.03 KiB) Viewed 6552 times
My son did the dash lights, this is high beam indicator. All new wire soldered, new bulb and cleaned up. yeah i know painted 383 green but we dont have the right color yet. Beats buying new lights
My son did the dash lights, this is high beam indicator. All new wire soldered, new bulb and cleaned up. yeah i know painted 383 green but we dont have the right color yet. Beats buying new lights
m379.jpg (31.13 KiB) Viewed 6552 times
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

52 M-42 wrote:The truck looks much better already, with that extra weight off the back and the trailer lights gone. Were you able to save the rear bumperettes?

You might want to consider getting the rest of the pintle hitch assembly that allows the hitch to rotate. If you ever get a trailer to haul behind the truck it will keep the trailer yoke from being twisted and bent.

Just a suggestion.

52 M-42

Oh it weighed a ton. Used transmission jack to let it down. Didnt have any rear bumperettes, but I do have a used pair from Midwest that will work fine.
I agree on the pintle hook, and if i find the original I may change it. The swivel hitch is not really needed on this weight truck and small trailers on road. Swivel is great for off road and big trailers. This truck may never pull a trailer and if it does may just be our MEP-003a about it. I have 5 other M105s but are a little big for it. So maybe just generator to a show or something.
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

52 M-42 wrote:Forgot to add, that really, the best solution to the wiring issue is just to get new harnesses from Vintage Wiring of Maine. They are not cheap, but they are much cheaper than anything else when you consider your time, frustration, aggravation, and nickle and dime expense trying to rewire or patch together the wiring on these trucks.

Just another suggestion to consider. Especially since it is going to be your wife's truck. :wink:
Your right on the wiring. As of last night every wire is out of truck. Not a piece could be saved. Definatley not worth patching up. I did look into some wiring harnesses and were in the $900 range.
Here is an area where it will not be original. We do have original packard wire, but will not use douglas connectors except on gauges. Everything will be switched over to packard connectors. The headlights and front turn signals were already switched to packard at some point. We will use the same wiring schematics but will be have a couple distrubution boxes added under the dash [not seen] that were not original. Just makes easier wiring and later trouble shooting. Ive spent 30+ years working on all kinds of trucks/equipment for a living. Wiring these up are a piece of cake compared to a modern truck that caught on fire :D
Always good to hear other ideas and thoughts. So anything anyone thinks off, just speak up.
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

They were just suggestions, not knowing your experience. I was just trying to save future grief, not cause any.

The distribution box is a great idea. I am building a distribution system for the bed of my truck because I want to hook up all the old military radios and accessories that I have accumulated over the years.

I'm sure if the military had kept these trucks past 1968 (active) they would have upgraded the wiring harnesses to packard connectors, so your harness will just be an "upgraded" one. :wink:

Please keep posting pictures of your progress. It's always enjoyable to watch a restoration progress.
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

52 M-42 wrote:They were just suggestions, not knowing your experience. I was just trying to save future grief, not cause any.

The distribution box is a great idea. I am building a distribution system for the bed of my truck because I want to hook up all the old military radios and accessories that I have accumulated over the years.

I'm sure if the military had kept these trucks past 1968 (active) they would have upgraded the wiring harnesses to packard connectors, so your harness will just be an "upgraded" one. :wink:

Please keep posting pictures of your progress. It's always enjoyable to watch a restoration progress.
Absolutely so offense taken at all. :D Apperciate any thoughts. If any of us think we know it all, we're stupid. It was my sons idea to take pictures along the way.
We took very few pics of the other trucks we fixed up. I really have enjoyed looking at the other M37s here and everything everyone had done to them. Tons of great ideas.
I'd like to see the radios as you get it done. I was radio operator in USMC [82-86]. Of course no m37s but did have M151's. Actualy MRC109's and MRC110's if memory serves me.
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Congratulations to your son for taking the photos. He did a great job rebuilding those dash lights. I hope you'll both enjoy rebuilding the M-37.

The radios I'll be putting in the truck are a little older; they are about the same age as the truck. They are the Old Family Radio Systems. I've got complete GRC-3, -5, & -7 systems and an A/N GRR-5 and a VRC-7. I'll probably only put in one GRC system at a time because I want to mount my blood cooler on the right bed seat as a refrigerator.

Right now I'm just building mounting boards for the radio racks and the cooler so I don't have to drill holes in my bed seats. I'm going to mount the RT-68 / R110 set first. I'll post some pics when it is done.

Good Luck with your project!
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

yeah those radio's are a little before my time I'm sure. I have trouble even remembering the ones I used but one i never will forget is the PRC77... Spent enough time toting that around to not forget it. Really neat you have all that stuff and will look great when all installed.

Yes my son and I enjoy all kinds of projects. Actualy this M37 is our secondary project at the moment. We're building him a new house on 4 acres right down the road from us. 4 bdrm, 2 1/2 bath rancher. w/attached garage. Thats a much bigger project. Its been a little over a year so far and the outside is all done except for shudders and porch railings. Nothing done on insde yet. Hope to put in septic drain field this weekend. It goes kind of slow when everyone works and we can only work on it so much. But, saves a ton of money. We built my oldest son a house a couple years ago. Took about 18 months only contracting out dry wall, insulation and carpet. Hope to have this house done by next summer as well as the M37.

Are there any other vendors you've had good luck with getting parts? Ive used Saturn, Midwest, Eriks so far and all been good. Ive used Eriks , Big mikes and TNJ murrays for our other trucks before.