51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Re: 1951 M37 4bt Modern Repower

Post by JimC »

Jeff, +1 to No. 4.

Tuko, how fast will it go, stock gearing?
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

Honestly I don't know... I'm mating it to a nv4500 5 speed and the pump has a 4k kit for some additional Rpms if needed. Being able to keep speed on a grade will be nice, besides, anything above 50 gets hairy in these old trucks anyways.

My G741 Registry Entry
JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Post by JimC »

Tuko, I agree with that. I've only had mine above 110 one time. Once was enough.
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

I've had a couple of M's up over 150, but they were in the back of a Herc..... We could still see the traffic seem to keep up on the Trans Canada Hwy below on the prairies.
JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Post by JimC »

I expect they have some substantial winds up there, especially at altitude.
I once crossed the Cabot Strait at 8500 feet in a Cherokee Six with 60 kt unforecast headwinds. Expect you were seeing a lot more over the prairies at the altitude you were flying.
Fun times. I never did learn to enjoy looking down at the icebergs.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

3600rpm (ish) in 4th with a 35" tire should net about 60mph with the stock gears on a 4bt.

2880rpm (ish) in 5th at same speed with same tires and gears, sporting a 20% overdrive.

Still seems like too much rpm for the diesel to me, but I'm not a diesel guy, I'm a trashy gas lover... :P

I can hit close to 60mph in 2nd gear if I wind out the 428, with 4.56's. At least I know when the SHTF I can out run it.... :mrgreen:

But I'll give you props on making the wood chipper engine look pretty! :lol: I'd be stoked to open the hood and see that under there...
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Post by JimC »

Me too, Ray.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Part of my bias towards installing a diesel engine is that in my neck of the world, they are ridiculously expensive to own and operate. The current cost of diesel fuel alone is almost $1.40 per litre, working out to about $5.60 per US gallon. An Imperial Gallon which is slightly larger by volume is about $6.44 per gallon. Not that gasoline is much better, costing about $1.23 per litre, or $5.65 per Imperial Gallon or about $4.92 per US gallon.
If diesel was cheap here, like it seems to be in the rest of the world, I'd whole heartedly consider it. But the current sky high cost of parts and fuel make it a non starter for me. Although that's just my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt. Or at least a shot of some good grain alcohol... :mrgreen:
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
JeffTheMarine
PVT
PVT

Post by JeffTheMarine »

If diesel fuel was as expensive here as it is there I would believe you would see a damn riot. There are a lot of farmers around here that would not be happy paying those prices to keep their tractors going let alone their pickups. Where I am it's not as good as a price as it is in the midwest near Iowa and around there but still decent.

Jeff
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Farmers and industry users are a different story up here, as they can run marked diesel, which usually has a purple dye added to it. It is considerably cheaper, as its specified for off road use only, so it carries no "road tax". They also tend to purchase diesel in bulk quantities, so they can get a further reduced rate. Marked Diesel is probably close to your regular everyday fuel cost...

Us "Joe Average" type guys can also purchase marked diesel and even marked gasoline (premium grade) for our off road or power sports toys, but its illegal to use in a conventional over the road vehicle. There have been instances of road blocks by the "man" strictly looking for illegal usage of marked fuels on public roads. The gov't wants the taxes they figure they are due... :roll:

Just for comparison, marked premium gas (94 octane) is about 1 cent cheaper than plain old regular unleaded (87 octane) up here... :(
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Master Yota wrote:Farmers and industry users are a different story up here, as they can run marked diesel, which usually has a purple dye added to it. It is considerably cheaper, as its specified for off road use only, so it carries no "road tax". They also tend to purchase diesel in bulk quantities, so they can get a further reduced rate. Marked Diesel is probably close to your regular everyday fuel cost...

Us "Joe Average" type guys can also purchase marked diesel and even marked gasoline (premium grade) for our off road or power sports toys, but its illegal to use in a conventional over the road vehicle. There have been instances of road blocks by the "man" strictly looking for illegal usage of marked fuels on public roads. The gov't wants the taxes they figure they are due... :roll:

Just for comparison, marked premium gas (94 octane) is about 1 cent cheaper than plain old regular unleaded (87 octane) up here... :(
MY, I have never heard of Marked Fuel/Diesel or Gas? We have a buried tank, sure it's not safe to use anymore.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

Fuel at Marina fuel docks may or may not be marked, because they pump directly onto the vessel. Gas station Marine gas pumps and Industrial use pumps are all marked with dye, as Master Yota has already mentioned. Pricing varies and even though without the 'road tax', small quantity marine diesel and gas is usually more expensive than competitive gas stations. I buy diesel fuel for both my backhoe and boat at a local Co-op and come out a few cents ahead. This summer, at the marina fuel dock, when pricing was up, it was $1.38 a litre. The same at the land marked pump was $1.21 Since the advent of low sulphur and Ultra low sulphur diesel, it is now on par or higher than mid grade road gas. The 251s in my M37CDNs are in good condition and gas consumption doesn't warrant a diesel swap. If I had to replace or rebuild one of them properly, I might think about a 4BTA or equivalent swap.
Jess
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

In the states any off road diesel is dyed red. Home heating oil, pump diesel for const equipment, fuel for the refrigerated units on tractor trailers etc can use dyed diesel.

My G741 Registry Entry
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

Just reading through you blog and being you are thinking of Cummins caught my eye. I have a custom M37 running a 93 6BT and I was reading a concern about power and mileage. I understand that the 4BT is under powered for my liking so I went 6BT. The 6BT went realitively well and would cruise at 65-70 mph but it performed more like a tractor, you know more throttle more RPM. My son who specializes in Cummins said Dad, you have a VE pump so put in a fuel pin. It's cheap and easy to put in. Now it runs more like the electronic Cumminis and somewhat like a gasser. And I still get 22 mpg. I know I'd get better if I had 4.10's or smaller tires. I've got Michelin XML 39" on it. All in all Look into the fuel pin. There is also a governer spring to swap out but I have not tried that yet.
Don't procrasinate! Do it now!