beat up frame but with TITLE?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

choppa
CPL
CPL

beat up frame but with TITLE?

Post by choppa »

I think this issue has been addressed before. If not on this site, other sites like it.

there has to be ENDLESS trucks out there that have damaged frames, rusted out frames, etc but the owners have the titles for these otherwise un-rebuildable machines.

what do they do with the titles once the truck is dismantled and scrapped??

there is some value in the title and frame peice wit hthe serial number stamped in it, yes?

I sure would like to find a beat up truck that will NEVER be titled just for the front section of frame and the title. sure would beat the hassle of trying to get one titled here.

anyone have such a frame and clear title to sell?

I know its probably considered illegal, probably why its not discussed, but I own my truck honestly and legally and lein free. just want a title for it.
thought this might be a way to go.

pitfalls of such an approach?
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: beat up frame but with TITLE?

Post by w30bob »

Hi choppa,

I think it's been discussed on here in the past. But like you said, the biggest problem is it's ILLEGAL. If you've got a truck with a good frame you can get a title for it. In some states it's harder than others, but it can be done. When the truck is scrapped you're supposed to give the title to the scrapper. He's supposed to make sure you actually own the thing he's scrapping or he'll get in trouble. I'm not sure how well that's enforced, but I'm pretty sure he enters the SN or VINs of all the cars he scraps into the states motor vehicle system.

If you have the section of frame with the SN on it from the unusable frame.....what would you do with it? Are you going to section the good frame and weld that section in? It would be much easier to grind down the old SN on the good frame and re-stamp with the SN for the title you have. If you have the glove box data plate from the truck with the bad frame you're good to go. If the stamping in the good frame is deep you'll need to weld it up with soft wire/rod and grind down and then restamp..........but still easier than sectioning the frame. Not that I'm recommending that you do that. (wink, wink)

There was a guy on Ebay who had a title, frame section, and data plate for an M37 he scrapped that he was trying to sell for a few hundred bucks. I don't think it ever sold. In reality no one will probably ever check or call your bluff..........but if you own both frames and the title I don't see how you can get caught. I know...........famous last words. :mrgreen:

regards,
bob
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Re: beat up frame but with TITLE?

Post by Master Yota »

It always amazes me how much legalese, jargon, and hoops that have to be jumped through just to put something as simple as an old truck, on the road. It would be so much simpler if the insurance was simply attached to your drivers license instead of a vehicle.

Could you not apply for a salvage title? Or does that open a whole 'nother can of worms?

I like Bobs answer best. Letter and number punches are cheap.....lol :mrgreen:
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152