265 cdn m37

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

RMS
MSGT
MSGT

265 cdn m37

Post by RMS »

a few years ago I went to look at a tcase at an estate sale and ended up grabbing a 51 cdn m37 for $500. it was only a rolling frame with some never run super all traction's sitting on the side of the house. I took one look at the tires and offered up the yet known meager ransom. the seller said his father had some parts in the house and that the sheet metal was in the shed. It took many trips to get the goodies home. during the time spent loading up the parts, i found out that his father was a millwright and started rebuilding the truck in the mid 70s. then in 79 when building an addition to the house, he fell from the roof and was never able to complete the truck. I hope that I can continue the build with the same level of quality and attention to detail as he did.Image
ImageImageImageImageImage
.............................. use it ...............
Cal_Gary

Re: 265 cdn m37

Post by Cal_Gary »

I just love these old "barn find" kinds of stories and appreciate that the vehicle fell into respectful hands :)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

thanks Gery
this next part is hard to report
the truck has been dragging on for 3 years as I labored away in frustration trying to remove copious amounts of silicone that filled every crack, seam and joint. after asking around about how to remove the offending silicone. a picture emerged of a time before I was born. when silicone was new. a wonder product that was the fix all sealer that guys loved to use on their bodywork. there was also a lot of rivets. Image Image
ImageImage

so many rivets that by the time i was half way through removing the ones on the floor I gave up and started looking for another cab. after buying up all the cabs and parts trucks I could find. I found a cab that was mint except for a few cuts made for a tilt column, auto set up. the only problem was it was too good of a truck to part out. so I restored that truck http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5750 and put aside the second best cab. thin paint, lots of surface rust but no rot or jacking. Image Image

the box came in pieces as well as the clip and every part is painted with a heavy brush coat of zinc/cold galvanizing and an even heavier coat of brow or tan enamel. most of the parts look good but on some the enamel is floating on a powdery bed of zinc. my wallet would like to sand down the paint and use a sealer but my hands would rather I send it out for blasting. I have time to think it out as its too cold and damp to be spraying.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

"Dragging on"? Hardly-I've been working on mine since the 2003 purchase. Just keep doing one mini-project at a time and you'll get there--don't give up! :)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Dragging on?

Post by DAP »

Dragging on? ........... My first M37 (Big Blue) was purchased in 1992 and took me 5 years to get back on the road followed by 3-4 more years of "fiddling". I was given 2 more trucks in 2004 and decided I could build 1 good one out of the two. I started in the spring of 2005 on my "twenty year project" so far I have the body done and am working on making my own electric harness. Then I will do drive train and engine last. Other things keep getting in the way like rebuilding 2 M101 trailers and a Pioneer Tool trailer. Take your time and enjoy the experience.
All in Air Force blue and black trim
1962 M37B1
rectangular window hardtop, converted to Hercules 4 cyl diesel-intercooled & turbo charged, 12V, disc brakes
1962 M116A1 Generator trailer
1962 M116A1 Pioneer tool trailer
1964 M101A1 3/4 ton trailer
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

I know that in the grand scheme of thing it has not been that long in the world of projects. it just feels that way because I keep getting easily distracted from it, doing every thing from cleaning the shop to building a Datsun or another m37. I even spent a couple of months doing work on a friends 76 mini. :roll:
the new year will be a two project year i will be redoing my first car a 68 datsun 510 http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26416 and the 265 powered m37. the shop will be full, stopping me from bringing in something new or taking on side projects. it will also help me from getting board or frustrated, being able to switch up jobs.

as for the 37 im going to concentrate on installing the ind265. I picked it up off a guy that pulled it from his dads 38 Buick. the motor was rebuilt then swapped in by him and his brother back in the early 80s. in 86 the the Buick was sold and walled away in a warehouse till developers bought the property in 2010. hearing of the sale he got it back and has plans of dropping a small hemie into it. he told me that when they first installed the 265 into the Buick that it ran great except it was under carberated. it still turns and farts out of each hole so fingers crossed. the 265 had the smallest transmission I have ever seen hanging off the back and an 8in clutch.
im going to install the the ind265 and see if it runs.I will make a video of the start up when I get there to share with the previous owner. I will also build up the second 265 but that one will get the long rod conversion and get swapped in at a much later date as my end game is not decided. will it be on gas or propane? dual carbs or forced induction? only time money and skill will tell.

back to the ind265 flat head 6: I had a hard time getting the flywheel off as the motor swung from a chain on the hoist, one of the Dbolts decided to cut the flywheel and rotate. I was thankful that a open ended wrench work as i could not drill it out because the bell housing was in the way and that cant be pulled till the flywheel is off. with the fly wheel off I swapped the car bell housing and front mount for a 37 housing and mount. then placed it on the frame. Image
chris olson
PFC
PFC

Post by chris olson »

Finally using that steering box!
1952 M37cdn
PVT
PVT

Post by 002 »

What is that steering box off of. Interesting
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

chris olson wrote:Finally using that steering box!
yes, it about time I start moving on it. iv only had it for five years :?
002 wrote:What is that steering box off of. Interesting

I believe its off a 70s gmc or international 5ton. its a saginaw 5690694.

I dont know how its going to work out but it looks to be a good fit and is only one more turn lock to lock. im not in love with the pitman arm but it looks like it will work. ive been eying up the flaming river uj and snake river bearing flange to use with a stock column. dose any one know how the hollow stock shaft is secured in the uj? Image ImageImageImageImage
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

still buttoning up the motor, just lacking a flywheel that will support the 11in clutch. I got plenty of flywheels for 8in and 10in clutches :x hope i don't have to send one out to be drilled....

picked up a few fasteners today Image
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

to my surprise I found an 11in clutch and matching flywheel on a seized 230. rather than pulling the crank to get to the fw bolts I did as Charles suggested and removed the bell housing. the dowel pins were tight they took a few good wallops with the 5lb hammer. if the block wasn't junk I would have been concerned about breaking off the little ears on the block.
found this little air tank for my lockers fits nice between the frame and Tcase.

will this bracket help spread the load and reduce frame cracks ?Image

good idea or bad Idea :arrow: Image
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

busy busy busy. got a 265 installed and running. sent the cab out for blasting, then spent 20 hours getting the sand out. welded up the all the extra heater holes, pin holes and used the bead roller to bend up some steel to fix the top rib on the back of the cab. almost ready for primer :D

wait I broke my camera, so no pics. I guess it never happened :cry:
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I'd like to see a photo of your blasted cab if you can manage it somehow, as I may be sending mine out next year for the same thing.
Thanks,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

sorry man I didn't get any pics of the cab in steel and since my last post it has made it to green. just installing the cuppro nickle brake lines and figuring out routing of extra venting and air lines for the lockers.

most of my time is still being allocated to the datsun but I try to get a little m every week

Mocked up the cab and the box. the column line up perfect...so Im thinking one Ujay and some splines if I can find room.......

can someone please recommend a good way of attaching the 1000 series Uj to the stock shaft. If it was a power box I could see running with a pin but a manual box on to a hollow shaft ? sounds sketchy. what is the right way ?
chris olson
PFC
PFC

Post by chris olson »

I would go with solid keyed shafts and Dana end yokes
http://dlsofstockton.com/Dana-Catalogues/danaeyst.htm
1952 M37cdn