Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

RMS
MSGT
MSGT

dark green canadian

Post by RMS »

at the end of April 2013 i took delivery of this 54 cdn m37 Image
it was mostly in pieces and many small bits missing, trans, motor + accessories, rad, brakes, brackets and bolts. the frame was sandblasted by the po and a thin coat of green added on top a even thinner coat of primer. the po pulled the box, sandblasted it then let it sit in the dirt with very little primer on it for years. the po to the po was in the early stages of converting the truck into a auto small block with tilt and hanging pedals. to accomplish the swap the dash was bashed, holes cut in the fire wall and a large chunk of the floor was cut out to make room for the auto.ImageImage
I spent a week making dust and uncovered some old marking. Don't worry folks its good old fashion American led not this new Chinese led associated with so many recalls :P ImageImage
then the welding commencedImage
more later.
Last edited by RMS on Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.............................. use it ...............
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Re: dark green canadian

Post by RMS »

many hours of welding and grinding went in to repairing the wheel arches on the box. got the bulk of dents and creases out with hammer and dolly. used red oxide primer and sprayed a gallon of low sheen enamel. no filler was used on the box. ImageImageImageImage
painting of the cab did not go as well as the box. I thought by adding more thinner I could get it to flow out better but with higher temps it just kicked off faster and didn't flow out. next round of spraying in going to reduce the amount of thinner and lay it on heavy. for now i need to keep the progress rolling as I wait for some rain to damp down the dust. ImageImage
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

with the absents of rain in the forecast and the prospect of a gritty final coat on the cab. i shifted gears pulling away from paint and commenced operation flathead. not having a military block i did my best to convert a 218 out of a 49 pilothouse in to a mil speck motor. it does not have the goodies found inside a mil block such as sodium valves but i managed to find a press type filler neck with a cap instead of a breather. ImageImage
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

Looking Good!
Lots of life left in that one. Is it a keeper or do you plan to pass it on? Is that the original CDN semi gloss paint? I'd be interested in getting your supplier information if it is. You'll be able to have an M37 convoy if you keep collecting all those that are sitting around waiting for a helping hand. The CFR number and other markings are always of interest and add some historical background to the truck. I'd like the tour when I drop off the tailgate. Need any other bits off the yellow truck?
Keep up the great progress. You might inspire a few of us to get started or finished our projects.

Jess
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

thanks jess. I plan on passing this one on to fund my turbo propane 265 powered m37. the paint is as close to the original CDN semi gloss as..... "the guy" could make. the problem with the paint is one needs to have a permit to obtain devoe in bc.
it is a alkyd speed enamel 4318Q (code =LB 3p8, RO OP24, PG op2, YO 3p32, TW op40)
I look forward to giving you the tour and the tailgate :wink: the only bits I need are two lower troop seat sections after stripping and painting I realized that I have two m37 troop seat brackets and two I assume m101 brackets. I have all 4 tops but only two bottoms and Im looking to trade or if I have to buy. this is what I have:Image
Jess wrote: You might inspire a few of us to get started or finished our projects.
I hope I do. I try and put two hours a night into my projects, even if i don't feel like doing anything i still make the effort to go into the shop plan, clean organize anything. yesterday all I did was solder up a rad but at the end of the night I felt good because I got something done Image
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

well it starting to look like a truck ImageImage
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Keep the pictures coming, I love this stuff!

I totally agree with doing at least a little something every day. This is the only way I've ever been able to tackle daunting projects. It works! If I don't keep on it and let things slide? Suddenly I find 20 years has slipped by and the project never got completed.

What's your plan for wiring it up?

-jim lee
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Looks great! Not wasting any time I see-awesome pcitures too-thanks!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

thanks for the comments guys :D

Jim Ive been thinking long and hard about the wiring and I want to get a harness from vintage wiring but my lack of funds make it improbable. so im going to make my own harness out of 14g like we did on my buddy terrys truck, blade fusees, soldered, heat shrink and loom. ImageImage
before i start laying out all the runs I need. the wiring portion of this project starts with the lights. I tried some water based stripper on the marker pots. brushed a healthy helping on and let it stand overnight. in the morning I hit it with a wire brush then hosed off. there were only a couple places I had to sand. it was nice to use as it smelt like mint and not death. I took all the hardware and soaked it in loyds safest rust remover then used cold galvanizing spay on the light receptacles. hot soapy water cleaned up the rubber bits and a can of brilliant white was used on the inside of the pots. once the paint is well hardened assembly will commence. ImageImageImage
for now its back to cleaning tapping and painting fasteners Image
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Wait a sec. Why do you have three tail lights?

Also, I'm just starting the rewire of mine now. Its not easy with the body installed. Funny, we're starting the rewire at the tail lights too. PO chopped the connectors off of them and managed to screw one of the mounting bolts in at about a 30 deg. angle. Ei yi yi!

-jim lee
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

jim lee wrote:Wait a sec. Why do you have three tail lights?
because I only have to refurbish 3. :mrgreen: I do have the fourth but unlike the three Autolight's that came with the truck the fourth is a mint late Industrial lamp corp tail light that will replace the bo stop light.

getting the wire in is the easy part the hard part is getting the loom on :wink: as im not going to have any connecters at the lights or fenders it will be important to have excess wire hiding in the loom. I will also make the wires going to the gauge cluster long so it can sit on the passenger seat when serviced.

don't get me started on what PO's do :evil: :lol:
cheers
Robyn
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

paint paint and more paint Image
thanks to Jess for mixing up the day by delivering a very serviceable tailgate :D Imagenever thought i would be happy to be back to scraping and hammering. :?
thanks again Jess. I owe you
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

Looks good. Ive got to say I would really not mind a Canadian truck now. After driving a very heavy M-152CDN and seeing how much power the 251 puts out over the 230................ I LOVE THAT MOTOR!! My friend with the 152 just scored a NOS 251 here in the states :( Oh well, I will keep truckin 230 style.
Green Mountain Military Vehicle Club Army Transportation Association Vietnam

http://linehaulrvn.tripod.com
1951 M37
1954 M37
1953 M62
1967 M54A1C
1968 M54A2C
1968 M52A2
1966 M151A1
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

the 251 definitely has some power gains over the 230 but you will never be able to shift like Jonathan Winters with a canadian T98 :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... KC1E#t=195
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

Robin, I hope the tailgate works out for you. Now I know who to ask when looking for some of the bits. I really enjoyed our short visit and it was great meeting you in person. Next time I'll try to have more time and look forward to seeing your progress. There are a few M37 guys in our area now and nice to be able to put a face to a name. Maybe we will get to meet some of the others one of these days. I managed to make my round trip and was heading back on the 5pm ferry, ahead of schedule. Keep the pics coming.

Jess