1953 M37

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Re: 1953 M37

Post by Cal_Gary »

I replaced my back bed end with Midwest's panel as well-was able to salvage the L brackets-got lucky I suppose.
Gary

http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4152
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

yeah you got lucky. I didn't even know what the L brackets looked like... :lol: All was left was a small piece of each.

I did just get a used tail gate from Midwest this week. Bent up some, but not rusty at all. Hung it on the truck and it looks lot better than the homemade one that was on there. Little straightening and will be good as new.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Nice!
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

Thought I would check back in so you guys didn't think I left for good. Not touched the old girl in 2 months. Spring is busy time for us as the summer season starts and all the equipment needed servicing and repairing. I have started it and run around yard a few times.
Ive almost forgot where I left off, but just about done with body work, as far as replacing sheet metal, Of course need to fill seams and joints etc. Still need to work on my new/old tailgate.
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

I was just wondering about this project earlier in the week.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

Hi everyone, hope all you guys have been well and lots of progress on your projects.
Finally got around to moving the old girl over to the main shop tonight again, so hopefully this weekend [expecting rain] can start on her again. It will take me an hour to figure where to start again :? Don't think its been touched in 3 months, Now that summer season is under way, hopefully things will settle out some and get some time to work on it again.
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

It'll be nice to see your progress. You've accomplished quite a lot already; there shouldn't be that much left to do.

Don't forget the camera!
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

Thanks, but still plenty to do. As far as main body, only rust damage spot left is driver floor, one small place at tunnel edge. The body work that has me most concerned is the hard top. Everybody here [and my wife] talked me into keeping it, but it needs considerable work. Front clip, fenders, hood is good.

I did measure the sagging front end and it leans to left about 1-1/2", so I suppose will replace front springs. Ive read some on re-arching but don't have the time to wrestle with that only to sag again few months later. Anyone have an experience with that?

This is 5th military truck Ive restored and is by far the longest. But, its the oldest and needed the most work, but I still enjoy it.

1970 M35
1979 M813
1984 M931 [needed no body work , just painted and made some repairs]
1961 Ford M151 [My dads toy]
1954 M37 in progress!!! :D
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. Didn't want you to think I had abandoned the site. :D I Have checked back and read some posts about projects occasionally. Haven't spent any time on the M37 since beginning of summer. Hoped once summer had started, would get some time but didn't happen. Family business was more hectic than ever this year. Between that and sons house, almost no free time for the old girl. But, the summer season is finally over, his house is coming along nice and after these couple of weeks of chilling in the outer banks, will get back to work on it. We're installing the HVAC system and after that will contract the insulation and drywall. Hope to have done by end of year. All other rough ins are finished.

Last post I made a comment about springs in the front sagging. Does everybody replace them as a pair or just replace the one sagging? I guess a pair of sagging ones would work :shock: . And, if you buy used how do you know if they have already gotten weak?
Ive replaced many heavy truck springs for leaning [sagging] but we only replaced the one side usually. And that side had an unusual amount of weight on it. Boom mounted on that side of truck.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Nice to hear from you F18!
Replace them in pairs if possible. Front springs should have 5.25 arch, measured across the anchor pin holes down to the top of the spring pack. 8.25 for rear springs. Use these as your guides on used springs-skip any that aren't close to these numbers.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

That is great information, thanks a lot!!!
Think I will order a pair and check my one good one, if its good will keep it. Obviously, they will sag again!
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

Finally got a minute to pop back in and visit. Put 2 new batteries in the old girl, cranks a flying now. While not worked on it much lately the thing still starts every time I move it around to get to another piece of equipment. I did put non-alcohol fuel in it so that helps a lot.
My main project is nearing the end. Sons house is almost done, last few things to do. Plumbing fixtures etc. All HVAC , appliances and electrical is done. All paint and trim done. Hope to be all done by Christmas, but he probably won't be in until January sometime with inspections and all. I do have another house project starting next summer, but hope Jan-Jun I can play with my old trucks more.
Hope to see you guys more often soon
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

Well finally back at it. My sons house is finally done. In the last couple weeks Ive gotten some stuff done on the M37. Straightened the tailgate. That was a chore as it was bent in 2 directions. Had to make several cuts then re-weld to get straightened. I did get used tailgate hinges from VPW and after sandblasting look great.
Pulled the rear bed off and pulled the fuel tank out. The tank looks homemade judging by the welds. But it doesn't leak and is not rusty at all. Really good shape. Cleaned up the fuel pickup unit and made new gaskets. The plastic float on the fuel sender is full of fuel. I tested the sender and it works. Cant seem to find a suitable float by its self so guess will order new sender. I am going to replace the fuel pickup line with steel tubing as someone spliced in a piece of rubber fuel line. Rubber fuel line has its place, I just like steel lines better. So hopefully today Ill make a new one and prime tank.
Last rusty place in cab body was under the accelerator pedal. I cut that out and made a new piece to go in its place. All welded in and primed now.
I'll try to post some pics this afternoon. Really enjoying back working on it.
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

seems like lots of old floats used to be made out of cork.
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

Yes I've seen floats made from cork, and brass and even some type of material like backalite. [spelling] This one I'm sure has been replaced as its plastic. I've looked through a bunch of our old stuff and not found a float the right size or shape. So thinking maybe just change whole thing