383 Mopar powered M37

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Re: 383 Mopar powered M37

Post by 57hemicuda »

Damn Jim, you had me looking over my shoulder until I saw the phone number on the truck in the one pic. LOL

Did get the power steering just about figured out, the steering arm will have to be changed, but shouldn't be long before she fires up.

jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Hahaha! There's an internet game my kids showed me where you get a picture and you have to figure out exactly where you are on the planet. Very addicting and I got good at picking out clues like that.

I'm really amazed at the speed that your conversion is going. This doesn't look like a experimental first try. I looks like you've done so many, you're almost doing it in your sleep.

-jim lee
57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Post by 57hemicuda »

Certainly not my first rodeo, but this is my first M37.

This is a case of standing on the shoulders of those that came before me. I looked a lot at all the conversions I have seen, and made my pro's and con's list long before I even bought the truck. Usually build road race Muscle cars, this has been a nice change,
57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Post by 57hemicuda »

Was sooo hoping that I could use the radiator I got with the truck, looks like brand new. Of course that is not how it worked out, I ended up having to fabricate a new core support to house the 3 core aluminum radiator. I'll fab up a fan shroud tomorrow, and get all the parts painted and bolted down. One step forward and two back.

57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Post by 57hemicuda »

Got the radiator shroud built, think I'm going to put a shorter spacer on the fan, but I'm pretty happy with it.

RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

love the axle mods and keeping with the stock springs and hangers. will you be using the stock shocks ?

I see you changed the oil filter....how was the job with the rad in place? looks a little tight..... my money was on seeing a remote filter installed

with the steering box bolted ahead of the front X member what will you do to address the extra stress being put on the under cut stress riser weld that attaches the frame to x member ?

hmm.....with your rad being so well supported it will stiffen up the front of the frame witch will reduce stress on the weld ......but if you get it twisted up off road you will likely tear the cab near the rod and side cover brackets were they meet the fire wall or at the kick panel.... happened on my stocker.....well I do beat on my truck more than most :mrgreen:
.............................. use it ...............
57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Post by 57hemicuda »

I will being using aftermarket shocks, the originals are worn pretty bad.

The steering box worried me abit, so the back side of the mount on the inside of the frame rail I incorporated a 3/8" backing plate which is also the core support and snow plow mounts. The 3/8" plate has a large diagonal gusset which goes between the steering box mount and the main crossmember. It is REALLY stout, don't think there will be a stress issue here. Can hardly see in the pic, because the mounts have all been powder coated black.

The truck will eventually get a cage put in it, and down bars that will tie to the front frame rails and rear rails. That should tie everything together and make it abit more ridgid like the race cars I normally mess with.

RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

57hemicuda wrote:The steering box worried me abit.....
OK that's beautiful 8)

cant wait to see it covered in mud or twisted on rocks :mrgreen:
.............................. use it ...............
57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Post by 57hemicuda »

Here is a better look at the bracket, it doesn't have the core support mount in place in the pic, but you can see how it goes. Got the parts finally in for keeps, mock up stage is pretty much over other then the steering column and shifter.

chris olson
PFC
PFC

Post by chris olson »

Is that a Toyota steering box?.. looks like a FJ60 or fj80?
1952 M37cdn
57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Post by 57hemicuda »

No it is actually a New Borgeson Box for a 66-77 Bronco, with a modified pitman arm. Originally thought about doing a crossover steering setup but found there was not a lot of real estate to work with around the leaf springs, and main crossmember.

57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Post by 57hemicuda »

Finally got the core support and shroud sandblasted and painted. Assembly should roll now.

Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Very Nice work!

Two questions - where did you source the aluminum rad from? And, have you checked for clearance issues between the pitman arm and the tires you're planning to run on the Hummer wheels? The backspace on the wheels eats up room in a hurry, especially when making right hand turns... I managed crossover steering on mine, but I cut the front cross member in half to do. Its over-kill anyway.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Post by 57hemicuda »

The radiator is a universal street rod part I bought off Amazon by size, I did have to modify the lower neck to get the right angle and clear the crossmember. The bud wheels clear with ease, The Hummer wheels are out being powder coated, but I'm pretty sure they will clear. They did clear with the other pitman during mock up, but were close. The new modified arm should give alittle more room.

I did get a lot of the nose assemble today, got trans cooler lines run, and all hoses installed.

T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Very nice clean looking project, love the pictures.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR